VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

P&T, is he safe?

Rate this question

allansc2005

Question

Morning folks,

Got a veteran who's IU P&T, whose conditions are worsening. He would rather have the 100% scheduler because he want's to work.

Sadly, somebody has been telling this veteran to not "rock the boat" with the VA, and not file for an increase for his SC vertigo and hearing conditions.

It's my understanding that unless there is some evidence of unlawfulness, that P&T means just that, Permanent and Total.

The veteran is 62, if that makes any difference.

Given the above, are there any reasons why the veteran shouldn't file in order to try for 100% scheduler?

Thanks.

Allan 2-2-0 HUAH!

• HadIt.com Elder

allan

I got a 50% rating for moderate hearing loss  I went from 0% to 50%   the first time around I was denied but got service connection established BUT NO RATING   and then I filed for increase and got the 50%  which I should have got the first time around because the hearing test #'s WERE CLOSE TO THE SAME..I WAS A GREEN HORN AND NEVER NOD THE DENIAL   SO I FILED FOR INCREASE  OVER A YEAR LATER  AND GOT THE 50%

broncovet is fairly good reading these hearing loss charts  let him look at the chart you put up and he can give you his opinion.

I would think you should at least get 30%  if not the 50% like I got.

Do you know what your Maryland CNC speech discrimination test score was?

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@allansc2005 I'm not the IU/TDIU expert, but if he can find a job working in a sheltered environment, that might work. I read about that recently. It's kind of like where the employer gives the employee reasonable accommodations to help overcome the disabilities. I'd recommend researching this more before going that route.

Veterans can be IU, TDIU, or P&T. Are you sure he's not TDIU? That's the type of IU which is deemed permanent and he doesn't have to submit annual income statements to the VA.

If he wants to go for full 100% schedular there should be nothing stopping him. I've read about other veterans doing it. If he is TDIU, plus the fact he is over 55, then his disabilities would be deemed stabilized and probably not subject to a decrease.

@Vync,

Yes, he's TDIU.

The guy wants to go back to his old job, which from my understanding, isn't on of those "sheltered" jobs you mentioned.

Allan 2-2-0 HUAH!

UPDATE: Also note that the VA has done away with the Annual Income Statements for veterans who are TDIU. I got my letter from the VA earlier this year stating I no longer needed to provide the statement, and it's my understanding, it's true for ALL TDIU vets.

Edited by allansc2005

6 minutes ago, allansc2005 said:

The guy wants to go back to his old job, which from my understanding, isn't on of those "sheltered" jobs you mentioned.

Going the 100% schedular route would probably be the best option for him then.

Perhaps check out my blog entry for some other possible options which may often be overlooked:

8 minutes ago, allansc2005 said:

UPDATE: Also note that the VA has done away with the Annual Income Statements for veterans who are TDIU. I got my letter from the VA earlier this year stating I no longer needed to provide the statement, and it's my understanding, it's true for ALL TDIU vets.

Yeah, the IU vets have to send the report, not TDIU

Vync,

The veteran I mentioned has a 0% service connection for hearing loss, however, he also has SC 30% for vertigo, and 10% for otitis media. 

He also had a recent hearing test that shows "moderate to severe" hearing loss.

So is he a good candidate to file for a secondary condition-hearing loss?

Allan 2-2-0 HUAH!

10 minutes ago, allansc2005 said:

Vync,

The veteran I mentioned has a 0% service connection for hearing loss, however, he also has SC 30% for vertigo, and 10% for otitis media. 

He also had a recent hearing test that shows "moderate to severe" hearing loss.

So is he a good candidate to file for a secondary condition-hearing loss?

Allan 2-2-0 HUAH!

Start by checking the rating criteria. I'm not a hearling claim expert, but believe that could be a significant change.

To get an increase, all you need is proof showing you meet the criteria for a higher rating tier. If it is recent, that's better because the VA may be less likely to send you for a new C&P. This blog entry should be very helpful.