VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Additional C&P exams scheduled immediately after the 1st one.

Rate this question

VA NURSE & VET

Question

Hello all. I'm a bit dumbfounded and could use some solid opinion as to what could possible be happening to me at this time. I submitted a claim for Migraine (NEW) and Sleep Apnea (NEW). Diagnosis for both with medication and CPAP. I attended my C&P and was told that in addition to the initial claims, the doctor was asked to complete a gulf war exam. No biggie. The next day, the doctor called me on the phone to clarify some questions. She kept telling me it was just additional information for the exam, even though she was just looking at migraines and sleep apnea. I also received a call from VES that same day asking to set a psych eval for sleep apnea and a hearing test for the migraine. I'm already SC for PTSD in march of this year. I was also SC for tinnitus in June as well. I'm questioning as to the reason why I am scheduled for these exams if I had them less than a year ago? I also have IMO DBQ and Nexus letter for both migraines and sleep apnea.  A psych eval for sleep apnea?

I'm fortunate to work at the VA and have the opportunity to ask co-workers their thoughts on everything. One PA-C in my office who used to be a claims examiner before coming to our office suggested I call ebennies and ask why I'm getting exams that were less than a year apart. I called and a message was sent to the RO for follow up. Unfortunately, I've been scheduled  for the C&P before the RO will even respond. Did I do the right thing by calling and asking why am i getting exams so close to ones that were completed? Side note, when I looked into ebennies, my claim for the slepp apnea was changed from "new" to "secondary". A change I did not make. In addition to that, documents for my PTSD claim were added to include my recent hearing test from June. One thing that was surprising, was that paperwork for my denied claim of erectile dysfunction was uploaded. All of these had to be uploaded by the VA. I hope they aren't planning on sticking it to me and trying to take away my newly awarded benefit. Also, Why would my sleep apnea claim change from new to secondary without me making that change?  These two exams if rated properly would put me at the 100 percent mark. I'm currently sitting at 90. Sorry for the rambling...Thank you in advance for the help.

Edited by VA NURSE & VET
Title change

6 answers to this question

• Lead Moderator

So the Va works the way it does and there is nothing we can do to stop it.  The reason the VA would change this is it better fits in the said box than another!  They have a duty to help you and if they feel it is more appropriate as secondary they will make this change without telling you anything until the decision.  Kind of some good news, if they are making this change it could mean they are connecting it.  Maybe.  Until you get your letter it is hard to say what the heck they are doing.  

I know it sucks to wait, but you gotta see what they are wanting to do.  It could be a good thing.  

On 11/21/2019 at 4:49 PM, VA NURSE & VET said:

These two exams if rated properly would put me at the 100 percent mark. I'm currently sitting at 90. Sorry for the rambling

Going from 90% to 100% can be the hardest part, I know it was for me. 

I would not worry about the C&P I am sure you will do fine, but I do suggest to take copies of your IMO, DBQ and Nexus letters to each exam. They may or may not except them, most of the time when I do they are happy that I brought them with me.

Always remember whether a disability is SC or secondary to a SC disability they are rated the same way. OSA will be 50% either way.

Good luck.

7 hours ago, paulstrgn said:

Going from 90% to 100% can be the hardest part, I know it was for me. 

I would not worry about the C&P I am sure you will do fine, but I do suggest to take copies of your IMO, DBQ and Nexus letters to each exam. They may or may not except them, most of the time when I do they are happy that I brought them with me.

Always remember whether a disability is SC or secondary to a SC disability they are rated the same way. OSA will be 50% either way.

Good luck.

Thanks Paulstrgn. I had the psych eval this morning,. I took your advice and took the IMO and DBQ with me. The examiner read it in front of me, and was shocked that I was already rated at 70 for the PTSD. She said it wasn't included in her notes. She looked through my medical information as she asked me questions, and then told me she saw the incidents I was talking about. I logged back into ebennies this evening to find out that paperwork from 2015 till now  of claims I am SC for were uploaded. Strange, but I'm gonna go with it. Thanks for the helpful advice. It sure did come in handy. 

Edited by VA NURSE & VET
wording

It appears that they may be calling SA as secondary to your PTSD, that said we can speculate all we want but we will not know until you get your SOC.  Hang tough and make your C&P's.  A missed C&P is a denial.

I have had the "burn pit" C&P, the TBI C&P, and possibly the "Gulf War" C&P.  I did not claim any of them, they just give them to GWOT (Global War on Terrorism) Veterans.  I even had the free dental exam about 8 years late.  They had forgot about it and just found it 8 years later.  Got the letter saying I had a dentist appointment at the VA, LOL, I was 40 percent at the time.  So, I went, dentist had no clue why I was there.

Just sayin,

Hamslice

YES, go to all or any C&P exams, unless you are looking for a smaller direct deposit on the 1st.