VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD inpatient program question

Rate this question

m211calvary

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

if you feel stressed out and not sleeping and angry all the time, you may want to get in this inhouse treatment...PTSD Affects Veterans differently.

While in house treatment you will be prescribe medications  according to what you tell them and how bad your symptoms are?

if you been red flag  this means they will be watching you like a Hawk  they  think your capable of hurting yourself or others  probably from what you mention to them and your body language  or eye contact  your body movements  ect,,,ect,, 

I recommend you try this inhouse therapy  it could very well save your life or the life of another person.  if you don't get in it  this is your choice but please do seek treatment for your mental illness   it could save your life.

I RECOMMEND THAT YOU GET ALL GUNS OUT OF YOUR HOME AND OUT OF YOUR REACH FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY AND OTHERS AROUND YOU.  (A.S.A.P.)

I personally do not like to bring up my Vietnam Experiences or talk about my stressors to anyone or hear other veterans talk about it   I shy away from it. I still have the night sweats and night mares  and to bring back those horrible  memories  just makes me worse.

The VA Therapist are there to help you  if you don't want to talk about the trauma or what you were witness to   don't talk about it.(they will understand)

My VA L.C.S.W sw 4 Tells me I don't have to talk about it if I don't want to, they can read your medical records and figure out that you have PTSD  even if your not diagnose for it just yet. that is all up to you  so I choose not to talk about it 

We talk about other things that can help me get my Anxiety attacks down  I am learning the tools needed to do just that with medications &  how to breath using different breathing techniques , reading materials, different ways to think about things...Mostly things to get your mind off the bad stuff and look ahead...Hobbies And what knott  things that are relaxing to you (other than Alcohol)   Street Drugs ect,,,ect,,,

I believe today in my opinion that what happen to Navy Seal Chris  Kyle........he would be alive today  had the VA taken action and got his buddy into therapy,  treatment   eh!!!....he had a PTSD Diagnoses  but refused the Help  this guy should have been Red Flag  He was Not. 

Never take a Veteran with PTSD Lightly. or for grante

Get the help you so Badly need ASAP.

Edited by Buck52

I did not touch on the Red Flag part of the equation.  You do not want to be there.  I was for several years and I had to have a psychiatrist at all of my appointments.  They watched me like a hawk as Buck stated. 

Back in 80s I was recommended for the then new inpatient PTSD program but did not attend as it was many states away from my home in Texas.  I would recommend anyone following doc advice and attend if you can do so.  As a side note being recommended for  this program is considered for claims purpose to be indicator of severity of PTSD or whatever and can help you in obtaining a higher disability level.  Get everything documented and save a copy of recommendation as medical evidence for claims purpose.  

First priority of course is to get well and follow doctor's advice then worry about filing claim later.

I still have copy of the inhouse PTSD program application form that I did fill out for claims purposes.

Edited by Dustoff 11
added another sentance

One other thing I forgot until just now-

My husband was diagnosed with PTSD in 1983.He went to VA for a business loan and came out with PTSD

Ironically- I told this story before so wont repeat it again-

he got a Buddy Statement the same day from the Director of the Newark VA who was also a psychologist.And then they sent him to another office there to get his claim prepared and filed.The odds of that happening are unfathomable.

But years later ( the Director verified a stressor he mentioned)-as the director was also at the scene, in Vietnam, of this horrific USMC volunteer Job, he was there to treat any Marine who visibly was shaken by what they had to do.)

when he was advised to go to the PTSD inhouse at Buffalo VAMC< he had to fill out a detailed form listing his stressors by month, for the year he was in Vietnam.

For some months he just put "the ususual- incoming-" but many months had horrific stressors that they could easily verify with nunit reports, a Wall Tracing etc etc.   Still they had the 1983 stressor verified so maybe they didnt check the others.

This is my point- I don't know if a vet has to list their stressors anymore for the PTSD inhouse.

Do you have a PTSD diagnosis yet? Because your main disability is not PTSD.

Perhaps that is definitely the doctor's diagnosis and maybe you will learn more from him soon.

If so maybe someone else can answer-does the 21 day PTSD program still require the stressor forms to be filled out?

I mentioned my Bi Polar vet friend. He had no stressors. The only  bad thing that happened to him in the Navy was being thrown into the brig.

I proved that incident was the first manifestation of his Bi polar.He won at the BVA. The PTSD inhouse here in Buffalo would have been completely  inappropriate for him.

Maybe you have had PTSD all along but it was mis diagnosed as Bipolar.

Or the doctor felt you have Both- called co morbid conditions,  which quite is possible.

I just want you to get the most appropriate help you can get and I do have faith that VA can do that.

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

I personally think the VA has one of the best Mental Health Clinics in the Nation,,,,  There is no Cure for PTSD  but we learn how to cope with our behavior and anxiety...to at least try to have a better  way of life.

a lot of the tools we learn are  coping techniques  & depends and what type treatment you recieve and the Therapist is Very Important that you both click with each other.