VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD inpatient program question

Rate this question

m211calvary

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Im am not sure how to respond to all this,  Although I been diagnosed with Chronic Combat PTSD & High Anxiety with severe Depression or MDD Unspecified 

I been in weekly treatment the  last 5 years at the VAMC MH clinic.

My ADVISE would be to seek treatment at your VAMC, See a L.C.S.W. or Therapist  most L.C.S.W. Are therapist .

You need to find one that you click  with or trust..it may take a while for you to do that. get to know your therapist really well and begin to trust her/him.

establishing a trust with one another is very Important.

Always be honest with your therapist and the Physiatrists & M D.s' at  the VAMC and know its ok to be or show your emotions  that  in  my opinion shows  you want the help you need.

Stay in treatment and learn some coping tools to help your Anxiety,and of course take your medications on time everyday, you will learn what Fight or Flight is and why we do it , because you will do both until you can get a Handel on yourself, the avoidness /guilt will take a long time to  get better.

You may not be totally cured from PTSD but what the therapist will do is learn you how to cope (Deal with this) the best you can and help make your life some what better for the good, & Help You FIND YOUR PASSION ..

Also I recommend you look up  This Guy    Google him or look him up on youtube 

NICK KOUMALATSOS & 7 STAGES OF TRANSITION.

He has a Youtube Viedo and a Book he wrote that really hits home, the Video is good too  he makes good sense.

However you will learn what works for other Veterans may or may not work for you.

But truly stay in treatment  the worse thing you can do for your self and your family is not go to treatment.

If something is to hard for you during visits with your therapist  simply let him/her know and they will start another plan for you.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes I realize the notes are from your LCSW;

On the medications you take you should ask  your therapist for you to see the Phyistrist Dr  or the Dr that has Prescribe your medications for an evaluation on your Medications every 3 months and how your feeling  ect,,,ect,,,

just keep things updated and you can tell your Phyistrist what Meds seem to help and what meds that don't  then an adjustment can be made if necessary.

As for as being a little nervous going to treatment on Jan th and being around others if this inpatient program requires you to stay in the hospital  (ALL OF US ARE JITTERY/NERVOUS FROM THAT)...about all you can do is try your best and know they are there to help you.

I go to therapy treatments once a week I wait to go inside about 2 to 5 min before my appointment time,  so I don't have to sit with the others   although a therapist will tell you thats avoiding parts of your problem, so until I can be around others I make it easier on me  by waiting and the therapist comes out to call me to go back in her office...this may not be for you but it helps me. I too have problems being around others  even Veterans.

Please Note* 

Just know that most of us  here if not ALL of us are not Dr's   We are here to help you if you have a claim or if you just want some advise on PTSD and how to cope with it .or what has helped others

Most of What we tell you here on Hadit is from our own experience, but please note what works for some may or may not work for others  ...>so trained professionals are Advised.

It don't matter how you seek help just as long as you seek it, I hid my PTSD for years  until I could not go no more  and like you  my wife is the one that helped me and my Dr to seek help.

I am glad they helped and I am glad I did or I probably would not be here today.

Note*There is another hadit member on here  screen name is Shrekthetank1  Who may offer better advice than Me and can give you a few pointers as to how to cope ...its different for each veteran.

Once you learn these people Are here to help you it won't be as Bad as it seems.

Good Luck to you. and take care of you!!!

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

File on what is more beneficial for you, if you filed in the past and was denied  then you can reopen but the claim will be from the date you reopen the claim.  you have 1 year to file an appeal when denied and you present new  relevant evidence with your claim.

THE NEW AMA you should use the supplemental  lane. so you can present new evidence (medical records medical notes, so you may want to  request your C-FILE AND LOOK INTO IT.

but since your Appeal has run out   you should refile the claim or reopen that is your choice  they both will go by the date you filed as for as  early effective dates go.