VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SEI (Special Employment Incentive)

Rate this question

slangpdx

Question

I have been working with voc rehab in Portland OR for several years and just got assigned a new counselor.  I want to ask them about SEI where the VA pays the employer 50% of the wage for six months - it is right in the VA handbook handed out at the VA hospital on p. 19, I am attaching a scan.  Does anyone have experience with it or know about it?  The office seems to only want to send vets to school at a community college, there is no real job search or employment connection.  I took two courses at their insistence and got A's in each, but I have 20 years experience in my field and my current counselor understands that additional training is not going to help me at the age of 64.  I am 70% SC and also receiving SSD. 

I had gotten an employer willing to hire me under this SEI as a news reporter intern in 1983, but the VA nixed it because they said that wasn't a "real profession" - they would pay an employer for anything else including stacking boxes in a pencil factory, but not journalism.  Don't know if that was just the personal bias of that VA employee or not.  To be clear:  not looking for journalism job at this time, just something in my own field of 20 years, computers. 

Anyone know about SEI?  tx

seiVA.pdf

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Great question.  This is "one" of those benefits VA doesnt want Vets to know about.  Did you appeal the denial, or was it a "verbal" denial?   If not, you should.  

While age discrimination is not supposed to happen, its one where everyone looks the other way.  Companies dont want to give you a retirement at 65, when you are 64.  

I suggest the following "work arounds":

1.  Work as a consultant.  Now this means you dont work full time, just for a period then move on.  You wont be getting benefits.  And, you may work for yourself.  As a contractor, you should get special consideration for contracts especially with the government.  

2.  Work part time.  Again, you wont get benefits, but you should have health insurance with VA, and your 70 percent should continue both now, during your work, and after you retire.  Remember, your ssd is in jeaprody if you work, tho, as SSD considers you disabled.  

3.  Start your own "computer related" business.  For example, many people dont have 500 dollars for a computer, but would be interested in a rebuilt one for 100to300, especially if you reloaded the operating system, delivered it, hooked it up to the internet, and maybe installed some software you know they would like, such as open office.  

You can make their computer system more secure by installing one or more Linux operating systems, as they are superior to Windows, and cost zero.  https://www.techradar.com/best/best-linux-distros   You can download the OS for free, here:  https://distrowatch.com/   Windows users are sick of virus problems, and at least some would welcome a bit of a change.  I enjoy Linux mint, on a computer I built, as its virtually virus free.  (no antivirus needed).  Linux is much more stable than Windows, and companies where security is important often have Linux servers.  

4.  If you are an android developer, or Blockchain code writer, you can sell your code.  You can transfer skills you learned from Cobol, Fortran, etc, etc, to learn android development and/or blockchain technology.  

5.  Ask a computer school if they need someone with skills to teach others.  

At 64, its gonna be very tough to get a "regular" 9 to 5 computer job, for one thing, many of your computer skillls will be out of date.  

With SSD, they have a back to work program, but you dont have as much to lose because you should be eligible for retirement from ss anyway.  SSD lets you "transition in" to work, where you keep your SSD for a period while you "try" working.  

Edited by broncovet

On 11/25/2019 at 3:58 AM, broncovet said:

Just met again with new counselor assigned.  She let slip without me asking what I had suspected all along, that no vets at all get jobs through their program.  None.  They are just paying huge money to send them to school where they apparently pick up their stipend until they quit or fail.  No job placement, I'm sure even for grads.    She said SEI not availble through them.  They want to send me back through the community college and the state voc rehab though the reason I went back to VA was because those were going nowhere.  Now the rep is not answering my emails or calls, so I guess this is over.  Of course she wanted to help with resume, which everyone does even the ones who say I am unemployable.  Have had it redone professionally three times, none of which was necessary. 

Problem is I don't fit into their framework, I have experience and don't need training, which they agree is the case.

If I could exist self employed I would have done that many years ago.  In fact had my own electronics repair shop which failed, left it to business partner who also failed with it.  Have been self employed doing many things, never enough to make a living.  I have to decide about risking trying for TDIU and possibly having my 70% rating reduced, which posters here say is possible.  County vet rep says I have a good chance, I have had psyche eval which I will hear results of on 19th.  They do not offer any job assistance, only disability assistance, it was specifically set up that way. 

On 11/25/2019 at 3:58 AM, broncovet said: