• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

slangpdx

SEI (Special Employment Incentive)

Question

I have been working with voc rehab in Portland OR for several years and just got assigned a new counselor.  I want to ask them about SEI where the VA pays the employer 50% of the wage for six months - it is right in the VA handbook handed out at the VA hospital on p. 19, I am attaching a scan.  Does anyone have experience with it or know about it?  The office seems to only want to send vets to school at a community college, there is no real job search or employment connection.  I took two courses at their insistence and got A's in each, but I have 20 years experience in my field and my current counselor understands that additional training is not going to help me at the age of 64.  I am 70% SC and also receiving SSD. 

I had gotten an employer willing to hire me under this SEI as a news reporter intern in 1983, but the VA nixed it because they said that wasn't a "real profession" - they would pay an employer for anything else including stacking boxes in a pencil factory, but not journalism.  Don't know if that was just the personal bias of that VA employee or not.  To be clear:  not looking for journalism job at this time, just something in my own field of 20 years, computers. 

Anyone know about SEI?  tx

seiVA.pdf

1 answer to this question

Great question.  This is "one" of those benefits VA doesnt want Vets to know about.  Did you appeal the denial, or was it a "verbal" denial?   If not, you should.  

While age discrimination is not supposed to happen, its one where everyone looks the other way.  Companies dont want to give you a retirement at 65, when you are 64.  

I suggest the following "work arounds":

1.  Work as a consultant.  Now this means you dont work full time, just for a period then move on.  You wont be getting benefits.  And, you may work for yourself.  As a contractor, you should get special consideration for contracts especially with the government.  

2.  Work part time.  Again, you wont get benefits, but you should have health insurance with VA, and your 70 percent should continue both now, during your work, and after you retire.  Remember, your ssd is in jeaprody if you work, tho, as SSD considers you disabled.  

3.  Start your own "computer related" business.  For example, many people dont have 500 dollars for a computer, but would be interested in a rebuilt one for 100to300, especially if you reloaded the operating system, delivered it, hooked it up to the internet, and maybe installed some software you know they would like, such as open office.  

You can make their computer system more secure by installing one or more Linux operating systems, as they are superior to Windows, and cost zero.  https://www.techradar.com/best/best-linux-distros   You can download the OS for free, here:  https://distrowatch.com/   Windows users are sick of virus problems, and at least some would welcome a bit of a change.  I enjoy Linux mint, on a computer I built, as its virtually virus free.  (no antivirus needed).  Linux is much more stable than Windows, and companies where security is important often have Linux servers.  

4.  If you are an android developer, or Blockchain code writer, you can sell your code.  You can transfer skills you learned from Cobol, Fortran, etc, etc, to learn android development and/or blockchain technology.  

5.  Ask a computer school if they need someone with skills to teach others.  

At 64, its gonna be very tough to get a "regular" 9 to 5 computer job, for one thing, many of your computer skillls will be out of date.  

With SSD, they have a back to work program, but you dont have as much to lose because you should be eligible for retirement from ss anyway.  SSD lets you "transition in" to work, where you keep your SSD for a period while you "try" working.  

Edited by broncovet