VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

AO Mother and Son of Veteran - Followup info from previous topic

Rate this question

Foxhound6

Question

Berta and all. Here is what I have so far from my friend and his mother that I was speaking about the other day. From what I can tell, They do have the DD214 and DD215's. However, there DD214 itself does not show any type of locations of service as the newer ones do.It does show a previous command which I assume is the one he deployed with. I took notice of the "Foreign/Seas service" section of his 214 and noticed he has Foreign service for 11 months and 20 or so days, just long enough to be in Vietnam... However, I feel I may have to dig up records pertaining to that unit at the time in order to prove it? I am unsure on that exactly. It was also strange they had 2 DD215's, also unsure what to make of that. *edit - I remember the wife speaking about the veteran making a stop in Okinawa before Vietnam. I found a unit that fits that timeline of when the veteran would have arrive in Okinawa to link up with as a support engineer. I dont have a way to confirm, but it fits...:

" On July 4, 1965, 2nd Battalion, 9th Marines was ordered to Vietnam. During this first year 9th Marines took part in approximately 45 battalion-sized and several company-sized operations. During the next four years 2nd Battalion, 9th Marines operated in or around Danang, Hue, Phu Bai, Dong Ha, Camp Carrol, Cam Lo, Con Thien, Than Cam Son, Quanq Tri, Cua Viet, Vandergrift Combat Base and Khe Sanh. For its actions in Vietnam 2nd Battalion, 9th Marines was awarded a third Presidential Unit Citation, a bronze star in lieu of second award of the National Defense Service Medal, the Vietnam Service Medal with two silver stars, and Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Palm. In August 1969, 2nd Battalion, 9th Marines left Vietnam and returned to Okinawa. Its role in the Southeast Asian Conflict ended with the recapture of the Mayaquez and the landing on Koh Tang Island in May 1975 (Veteran completed his training sometime in 1969). In February 1979, 2nd Battalion, 9th Marines became the first battalion to rotate to the United States as part of the unit deployment program. " via http://www.2ndbattalion9thmarines.org/About_Us

As far as medical is concerned, I believe I have enough to prove the VA wrong. The mother has HUNDREDS upon HUNDREDS of medical records pertaining to his disability. I couldn't copy them all but I found many pertinent ones that show the initial DX plus ongoing treatment. I am posting all of it here in hopes someone might make more sense of it along with the Rating decision. Sorry for some of the photos, the mother found more docs after I left and sent them via her phone.

DD214 Edited.jpg

DD215 69 Edited.jpg

DD215 72 Edited.jpg

Foreign Service Field Highlight.png

Rating 1 Edited.jpg

Rating 2 Edited.jpg

Rating 3 Edited.jpg

Rating 4 Edited.jpg

Matt Spina Bifida_Redacted.pdf

Edited by Foxhound6
Possible unit

Here is another good tid bit of info, specifically regarding your question about Medals, awards, etc. Wouldn't these awards be in his record as well? Does provide some interesting clue though.

Regiment Awards.JPG

Yes, any citations, badges,medals etc etc he received should be noted in his SRB ( NAVMC file)

The 4 citations on his DD214 are clearly listed in my husband's  SRB.

My husband's DD 215 reflects those medals, and then adds others he did not know he had.

The scuttlebutt ,before his discharge, was that his unit had been awarded the Presidential Unit Citation ,but he never knew for sure for 25 years, until he got the DD 215.  It made us think that many in his unit did not ever know they got the PUC and all of their proper awards. 

If this veteran  was in Vietnam, the VSM should be noted in his SRB:

"Vietnam Service Criteria

The Vietnam Service Medal (VSM) is awarded to any service member who served on temporary duty for more than 30 consecutive days, or 60 non-consecutive days, attached to or regularly serving for one, or more, days with an organization participating in or directly supporting ground (military) operations or attached to or regularly serving for one, or more, days aboard a naval vessel directly supporting military operations in the Republic of Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos within the defined combat zone (DoD 1348 C6.6.1.1.5. revised September 1996) between the dates of 15 November 1961 and 28 March 1973, and from 29 April 1975 to 30 April 1975."

https://www.pocketsquareheroes.com/blogs/news/47992961-10-things-you-may-not-know-about-the-vietnam-service-medal

The VSM  alone, is never accepted as  proof of a stressor  but  ,if it is found to be in his SRB, it is proof that he served directly in-country  or in support of ground military operations as above.

6 hours ago, Berta said:

Yes, any citations, badges,medals etc etc he received should be noted in his SRB ( NAVMC file)

This is the next step now. I have 2 locations I will be blanketing with a request. Please let me know if there is more places to make these requests? (See images)

The 4 citations on his DD214 are clearly listed in my husband's  SRB.

My hope is that the requests going to NPRC and Marines history Div will come up with something. I feel like he is missing much of his paperwork from when he left Okinawa/Vietnam..

My husband's DD 215 reflects those medals, and then adds others he did not know he had.

The scuttlebutt ,before his discharge, was that his unit had been awarded the Presidential Unit Citation ,but he never knew for sure for 25 years, until he got the DD 215.  It made us think that many in his unit did not ever know they got the PUC and all of their proper awards. 

If this veteran  was in Vietnam, the VSM should be noted in his SRB:

"Vietnam Service Criteria

The Vietnam Service Medal (VSM) is awarded to any service member who served on temporary duty for more than 30 consecutive days, or 60 non-consecutive days, attached to or regularly serving for one, or more, days with an organization participating in or directly supporting ground (military) operations or attached to or regularly serving for one, or more, days aboard a naval vessel directly supporting military operations in the Republic of Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos within the defined combat zone (DoD 1348 C6.6.1.1.5. revised September 1996) between the dates of 15 November 1961 and 28 March 1973, and from 29 April 1975 to 30 April 1975."

https://www.pocketsquareheroes.com/blogs/news/47992961-10-things-you-may-not-know-about-the-vietnam-service-medal

The VSM  alone, is never accepted as  proof of a stressor  but  ,if it is found to be in his SRB, it is proof that he served directly in-country  or in support of ground military operations as above.

Archives records.JPG

NPRC.JPG

Berta

I received an email back from Marine History Div regarding my inquiries about requesting information. They didnt have exactly what we wanted so it is good I emailed first. However, they did point me in a good direction and provided the MUC for 3d FSR. According to the link in the email, we can fill out a DD-149 and give any supporting documents. From the email, you can request a complete records review in that DD-149. This may be the best bet I think. Hopefully, this information is useful for others as well!

Mar Hist Div.JPG

MUC 3d FSR.JPG

UPDATE: Navy Corrections replied stating they do not do that type of inquiry, but forwarded it along to the Commandant of the Marine Corps for processing there. 

Edited by Foxhound6

Update for April 8, 2020. Received a letter back stating our request was now being forwarded along again. This time to Awards and Decorations? It stated once the Awards side finishes their research, they will correct any findings and send a copy.

Sam.award update_Redacted.pdf

• HadIt.com Elder

Sounds like you're making progress. And you now have something to follow thru with too. Hang in there