VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea grouped with Mental disorder???

Rate this question

courage2

Question

I have always been service connected for Generalized Anxiety disorder with Insomnia and Somatic Symptom Disorder. The VA grouped 3 seperate claims as one pretty much. 

I filed a new claim for sleep apnea secondary to my lower back which pretty much has not allowed me to continue a consistent workout routine which has led to my obesity and making my sleep apnea severe. My claim for sleep apnea came back and it looks like they grouped Sleep Apnea with the other 3 claims for somatic symptom, generalized anxiety, and insomnia. 

My question for the group is this something I should appeal? Seems like the VA is trying to group more of my disabilities into one claim this reducing my rating.

What are your thoughts ? 

20191125_161348.jpg

Edited by courage2
Picture insert

Basically it looks like they continued a 50% rating..... in other words no mater what you want to call the medical issue .. they are not going to grant more than 50%.....

Yes they can do this..... 

You can appeal.... but you really need to have a doctor on your side otherwise it could be an uphill battle....

50% is all you can rate for sleep apnea. GAD would usually be under MH, but if they didn't reduce your rating, what is there to worry about? Did you claim a mental health issue specifically, or do you already have a rating for MH? Insomnia can contribute to anxiety- knowing that you stop breathing in the middle of the night is pretty anxiety causing. I know it was for my wife when she would wake up in the middle of the night to poke me so I would start breathing again. Somatic symptoms is sleep related, too- do you have night terrors? That might be why its grouped with generalized anxiety, too- just a thought. 

File an appeal.  This is bogus.  There are seperate ratings for sleep apnea and mental health disorders.  

I got a denial on my sleep apnea, claiming it was NOT related to MDD, and not they are saying sleep apnea and mental health disorders are the same thing!!!!

If you have mental health symptoms, and I assume you do, you should get a seperate rating for that.  I agree with you, That they lumped them together to lowball you.  The VA is required to maximize your rating, instead they minimized it.  

• Lead Moderator

Wow that is a first for me.  Interesting what they will try to get away with.

Follow the advice above and get a Medical opinion on how they are separate.  

It amazes me the lengths the RO will go to with almost no logic at all.

That is almost like me saying my foot hurt and they check my eye.

• HadIt.com Elder

courage 2 quoted

''I filed a new claim for sleep apnea secondary to my lower back which pretty much has not allowed me to continue a consistent workout routine which has led to my obesity and making my sleep apnea severe. My claim for sleep apnea came back and it looks like they grouped Sleep Apnea with the other 3 claims for somatic symptom, generalized anxiety, and insomnia.''

Did you file a separate claim for the secondary SleepApnea ?

You need to file a separate claim for the SECONDARY S.A. CLAIM,  OTHER WISE IF YOU ASK FOR IN AN INCREASE ON THESE OTHERS AND ASK THAT THE S.A. BE AWARDED DUE TO THE SECONDARY CONDITIONS .  THEY WILL LOW BALL YOU EVERY TIME.

Broncovet is correct Appeal the secondary  sleep apnea claim   and file it seperate  file it secondary to your low back condition  you need a Sleep Dr to opinion that your  issues with your service connected Back is related to or the cause of your Sleep apnea  but a qualified Dr needs to opien that.  you get this evidence then submit it...let them figure this out at the R.O.

30 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

courage 2 quoted

''I filed a new claim for sleep apnea secondary to my lower back which pretty much has not allowed me to continue a consistent workout routine which has led to my obesity and making my sleep apnea severe. My claim for sleep apnea came back and it looks like they grouped Sleep Apnea with the other 3 claims for somatic symptom, generalized anxiety, and insomnia.''

Did you file a separate claim for the secondary SleepApnea ?

You need to file a separate claim for the SECONDARY S.A. CLAIM,  OTHER WISE IF YOU ASK FOR IN AN INCREASE ON THESE OTHERS AND ASK THAT THE S.A. BE AWARDED DUE TO THE SECONDARY CONDITIONS .  THEY WILL LOW BALL YOU EVERY TIME.

Broncovet is correct Appeal the secondary  sleep apnea claim   and file it seperate  file it secondary to your low back condition  you need a Sleep Dr to opinion that your  issues with your service connected Back is related to or the cause of your Sleep apnea  but a qualified Dr needs to opien that.  you get this evidence then submit it...let them figure this out at the R.O.

I did do a seperate claim for Sleep Apnea secondary to my lower back.. I have no idea why they grouped the Sleep Apnea with my Mental Health claim. I even had a Dr sign off on my Nexus and did a DBQ for my Sleep Apnea service connected to my Lower Back.. 

I did not file Sleep Apnea secondary to my MH conditions the VA just decided to group this together.. If I do the appeal, I am sure it will be an uphill battle.... Should I just file another claim for Sleep Apnea Secondary to my lower back? Or should I fight this with an appeal?  I feel they are trying to low ball me but maybe I am missing something.

Edited by courage2