VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

CPAP Cleaner

Rate this question

paulstrgn

Question

Has any one ever used the Sleep8 CPAP Cleaner for cleaning their CPAP equipment? I know there are a couple out there but I was wondering about this one.

I am trying to figure out which type is best to use, as those that use CPAP machines knows we need to clean the hoses on a regular basis.

Thanks in advance for any and all information

• HadIt.com Elder

Paul  it was my wife Ideal, although GB mention the mask can't get wet...I guess it depends on what type mask you use? if its the soft plactic rubber type  the its safe to place in the water..if its the mask that has filters in it  the n you need to recheck to see if you can use water to clean it.

I been doing mine now for 5 years this way  and its still in good shape  but if you ever get a hole on your hose or mask  you need to replace it.

I have a "SoClean" CPAP cleaner.  I like it.  Here is why:

1.  The So clean uses Ozone to disinfect the entire machine, hose, and mask, not just the hose and mask.   Unless you bleach the machine each day, bacteria can/will grow in there.  

2.  Yes, you still have to occassionally wash with soap and water, but you can use the so clean every day.    Even washing with soap and water does not disinfect, it just cleans.  

3.  I think it can be important for some people especially, to not just clean but disinfect the machine, hose and mask.  Dust settles each day including in/on the mask hose, and cpap machine.   Dust often contains "dust mites" which can and do carry disease.  When you dont use a cpap, your nose does a good job filtering out dust, dust mites, etc, and a healthy person should not have trouble.  But, when compromised as we often are when we use a cpap, its a good idea to not let those dust mites and bacteria get a foot hold.  

While many people get away with just washing, its easy to skip it and not do it often enough.  With So clean you put the hose in the machine and it runs every day you put it in there.  Its effortless to put the mask in and close the so clean door and it will turn on by itself at about 10:00 am unless you program it for another time.  

I had a rather chronic cough...my body was trying to get rid of dust mites, bacteria, etc, which seemed to disappear when I use the so clean.  I have  had pneumonia and dont do well with it.  

I think you "reinfect" yourself with a cold unless you clean and disinfect your cpap machine, mask and hose each day.  You breathe and your cells go into the mask and machine..along with cold virus and bacteria.  They grow there, and the next time you use the mask, you reinfect yourself, so its hard to get rid of colds without the so clean.   When you are sick, you often dont feel like disinfecting your hose, mask and machine.  So I put mine in the so clean.  

I think its worth the money.  I had trouble setting it up, but called them and they were good and helped me.  Not everyone needs it, but if you are vulnerable to colds, respiratory infections, or pneumonia, then you can probably benefit from one.  

Edited by broncovet