VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

73 NRPC FIRE DESTROYED MILLIONS OF RECORDS?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

How would a Veteran get his (copys) of his service records  or prove they were destroyed in the St Louis Fire in 73?

veteran ETS in Feb 72..but as no sign or sight of his STR'S  or any Service Records from different Duty Stations?

His C-file is Practically empty  just a few where he went to his VAMC for general health care.

no records can he find where he was station at during his military service

Aug 3 1969 to Feb 4 1972  Duty stations Fort Bliss Tx (Basic Training)

Aberdeen Maryland Aberdeen Proving Grounds  (AIT)  

517TH Heavy Equipment Transportation unit (no longer exist) AS OF 1988

Schwetzingen Germany 1970

HHC Saigon Support Command APO?  RVN (Vietnam) unit no longer exist) annulled in 1975 TMP

How Would Veteran find his service records?  when NRPC SAYS THEY CAN'T FIND THEM? (RECORDS NOT FOUND)

Its like he never went into the military  however he has his DD214  BUT NOT ALL DUTY STATIONS IS ON IT.

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks Bronco for this information...we  have tried most everything and I don't know what else to tell him..other than this

For veterans who are looking to reconstruct their service records, they will need to fill out the NA Form 13055, Request for Information Needed to Reconstruct Medical Data. :Source CCK Law

I'll let him read this CCK Link himself.

Its a dang shame we can't help him.

There was another vet on hadit about 5 or 6 months ago  maybe longer  that had a claim appeal  for his same reason  no records, but he had some records and the VA would not use them , they wouLd not accept his claim  appeal or CUE  AND HE IS IN BAD HEALTH!!!!

in 1972 after he got out  or was medically discharge and evac out of Nam  by the 24th Evacuation Hospital, Long Binh, Vietnam  and  sent to the states laid up in the hospital  and he can't find any of his records  I can't remember his  screen name here on hadit  but he came her a few times needed help  but no one was able to help him...I am not sure he is still here?

This may have already been said here but many years ago I  heard it repeatedly said on other veterans forums that no Vietnam era veterans records were lost in the 73 fire but only WWII and Korean vets were affected.  I have not heard or seen this from official sources tho.

My former POA asked me to help a vet may year ago and showed me his letter from the VARO that said most of  his records were destroyed in the 1973 fire.The vet rep handed me the minimal STR  records they (VA) sent.

No charring, no watermarks....I was with a local fire department for years- firemen do not go into major fires and selectively save a few pieces of paper here and there.

I knew the veteran.

He was not even born until after the fire!

The VA probably just saw USAF service and his last name was probably alphabetically  after Hubbard,  and they never consider his more recent period of service.

Buck, this site lists 63 members who served in HHC Saigon Command Vietnam, and they might have more info elsewhere on the site- it is a good site  for for finding buddies and other info on units.

https://army.togetherweserved.com/army/servlet/tws.webapp.WebApp?cmd=PublicUnitProfile&type=Unit&ID=55794

and the google search for  HHC Saigon Support Command Vietnam   is voluminous:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS695US695&ei=WBPhXfrnBMLktQWZjbegDw&q=HHC+Saigon+Support+Command+Vietnam&oq=HHC+Saigon+Support+Command+Vietnam&gs_l=psy-ab.12..33i299l3.538.12783..15097...0.0..3.4018.17761.6-2j9j1j1......0....1j2..gws-wiz.....0..33i160.nWJPe0DmMrY&ved=0ahUKEwj686qLuo_mAhVCcq0KHZnGDfQQ4dUDCAs

Also at least 4 links pop up for

517TH Heavy Equipment Transportation unit 

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS695US695&ei=VBzhXb_1G420tQWl8LGYBA&q=517TH+Heavy+Equipment+Transportation+unit&oq=517TH+Heavy+Equipment+Transportation+unit&gs_l=psy-ab.12..33i160l2.196500.202218..207819...0.4..3.1555.5290.1j5-1j8-3......0....1j2..gws-wiz.....0..0i71.mO-GhAHAEkg&ved=0ahUKEwi_757Uwo_mAhUNWq0KHSV4DEMQ4dUDCAs

They might have changed the name of the unit to the 517th MCT after 1988

517th Movement Control Team, 25th Transportation Battalion, 19th Expeditionary Sustainment Command 

The internet is the greatest tool ( and weapon to fight claims denials) that we could possibly have.

But if a veteran or their surviving spouse is not PC literate- they are going to be lost in trying to find the info they need.

Research on the net takes a lot of time, but it often holds the keys to success.

There are 34 decisions at the BVA that came up in my search for HHC Saigon Support Command Vietnam

Apparently the VARO never even attempted to get this veterans SMRs.

I am willing to search the 33 left to see if there is anything there that denotes whether other vets in his unit had trouble getting their records, as this could support a heightened duty to assist and the request  to reconstruct his records.

This is one of their decisions ,suggesting what the RO should attempt to get-and like I mention here often on remands, is there anything the claimant can do themselves to satisfy the remand.....

"The AMC should contact the appropriate 
entity and attempt to obtain any records 
(operational reports-lessons learned or 
similar document) that narrates the 
activities of HHC US Army Support Command, 
Saigon, between December 1970 and December 
1971, and in particular whether it was in 
the vicinity of incoming hostile fire 
during the Veteran's service during that 
period, and whether a member of it (Robert 
Washington) committed suicide by hanging 
between April and June 1971."

https://www.va.gov/vetapp09/files4/0934502.txt

Also:

https://www.va.gov/vetapp06/files5/0638210.txt

This vet’s records proved he was in  HHC Saigon Support Command, 90th Replacement

Battalion,Vietnam 68-69 with no problem.

Does the vet you know have more on his  DD 214 on his unit designation, such as a replacement battalion?

Edited by Berta

Also

I lost the net for a minute- no BVA link-----but my point is

Is there more to his unit designation to narrow down the search and has this vet taken any steps at all,via JSRRC, or via any of the entities mentioned above by the BVA to find his records?

You said" NRPC SAYS THEY CAN'T FIND THEM? (RECORDS NOT FOUND)"

Have you seen their letter?

Also

In response to the veteran's request, the United States Army Military History Institute submitted in December 2001 the OR- LL report from the 125th Trans Cmd for the period of February-April 1969. In this report, several rocket attacks were noted to have been made in the area of the Saigon Port complex. On several occasions, rockets exploded in the commercial and residential areas surrounding the port, as well as in the river adjacent to ships at berth. No casualties or damage occurred within the United States Army Terminal, Saigon, during any of these attacks.

Edited by Berta
in cloud...double posts...