VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

IU question future exams

Rate this question

Sezal

Question

Hi everyone, 

I was awarded my IU back in Nov 2014. My letter says I will have a re-examination Dec 2019. I have since moved to another state since 2014.
 Myself, my VSO and my social worker have been keeping an eye out for this exam so I can be prepared. But we don’t see anything coming up for December and January. Has anyone had this happen? Does the VA always schedule a Re-examination like they state in their award letters? This is all still very new to me, so any experiences or advice is genuinely appreciated. 

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

You are on the right track. Stay on top of it.   Watch for that exam.  I hope you made sure VA knows your new address, both in VA health, and VBA (benefits).  

If the VA mails you something, like an exam appt, and you failed to change your address...the outcome may not be all that good for you.  Check ebenefits to make sure your address was changed and its correct.  

Now, for the good news.  VA does NOT ALWAYS schedule a re exam like they said in the award letters.  There are several reasons for this.  The most likely is you have been seeing the doc and he or she has opinied your condition has not improved, or has even gotten worse in the past 5 years.    An exam costs VA money..so they dont do it unless they think you improved and they can get that money back by reducing your benefits.  If you have already been seeing the doc for 5 years, then an exam is not likely needed, unless there are unanswered questions the doc did not provide.  

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

LOOK AT YOUR DAIRY DATE?

This Award was System-Generated From  *DATES*). If Converted Award Lines Existed Before That Date, They Were
Protected From Change.

That means they canceled your exam date.

• HadIt.com Elder

I would also recommend getting on ebenefits so you can watch for letters, etc. yourself. And get on Va.gov.

• HadIt.com Elder

If Dairy dates is generated when they have you schedule after a  award is 2   to 7 years old.. if the date was before what they said the dairy date was schedule  then its canceled.

Either look on your award or rating sheet  if you been scheduled to have an exam it will be on there  other wise look  in your C-FIle  and look and see  what the generated exam date is? (dairy date)  if the date is before they scheduled it then it should be cancelled  or no date set...and your not set up to have an exam.  the date space will be left blank

My award was 2003   then 7 years later the dairy date was taken off    ..and no exam was scheduled   they call it a generated date  and place the date in (my date was  2010....so after 2010  they cancelled it  I never was called up for the exam.

This is how they did mine  but maybe some veterans are different?

They do this if your award is not Temporary or your condition is not expected to improve within your life time no future exams scheduled.

This part should be on your award letter.

• HadIt.com Elder

An award for PTSD is about the only exam they may rescheduled   but it depends if you shown improvement the 1st 2 years after being diagnose and  you won a compensation rating for it   normally for the 70% and below.  100% veterans rarely get called up for an exam.  but some do.