VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Virtual EMDR Therapy??? Anyone had this?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

My VA Therapist used this treatment on me on my last session and said we will start it next week?

Any one use the Virtual  EMDR Therapy to help with PTSD? Anxiety, Depression, Guilt? ect,,,ect,,,,

Virtual EMDR is online therapy based on Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)

What was your reaction to it?..Did It help you?

She took her finger/hand and waved it across back and forth in front of me as I watch her hand with my eyes  never moving my head   she did this for about a minute or two( seems like longer) we did this 4 times

each time she stopped  she ask me just what was I thinking at the end  and ask me on a scale from 1 -10 my anxiety level???

I am confused as to what to say?  this is all new to me  my answer was '' I am sorry but I a confused or I really do not understand this? she said what was you thinking when I stopped my hand  and what was your anxiety level...I was confused  but told the truth my anxiety level was high.

Not sure just how this helps?  I will ask her that next session.

But if any of you have used this therapy method did it help you ?(explain) please

Thanks

Buck

• Lead Moderator

So my wife and I have both done this and it does seem to help us both in different ways.  The biggest and hardest part for me is to let go!  If you can't let go you will not allow you mind to open up.  

The idea is with the rapid eye moments it will open up past trauma or events which happened to you.  Where you may be missing a detail or more and you need to realize this so you can deal with the real issue and not what you think the issue is!

It is a very personal and in-depth look at you and what is causing the issues.  It does give more tools to help deal with the underlaying issues you have.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Buck, this is the easiest and best advise you can get today. If Shrek says it works for him, that would be good enough for me. Why not give it a GOOD try and see. As we all know, this is a moving medical science, and some things can and do work for some people, and for others not so much. I'd certainly trust Shrek and his opinion. What's the saying; nothing ventured, nothing gained?

Having suffered with PTSD (70% TDIU P&T) for over 20 years I found the different medications and treatment methods made me worse or left me at least confused so I have sucked it up and go fishing whenever possible among other things.   It seems like every week or month the VA comes up with some new "therapy" method like a fad that one never hears about again after a year or so.  It is all very confusing and I stay away from shrinks as they harmed me a long time in Texas.  I wish nothing but good luck for all other PTSD vets out there.

I former VA PTSD counselor with a PHD in clinical psychology and many years of working with PTSD vets at VA and private practice has said there is no magic cure for PTSD but only learning coping skills as best as one can.

This guy is also a former combat medic with the Marines in the Vietnam war and has also suffered from a life time of PTSD.

Edited by Dustoff 11
new info

• HadIt.com Elder

Dustoff I can agree on fishing. It's pretty damn hard to have a bad day of fishing. Just being out there is good for any kind of disability. What the hay, you might catch a bass once in a while too!

• HadIt.com Elder

Well I was not thinking about my stressors or war related crap I try my best not to think about what happen what I seen and what I did  that was years ago,

when she ask me what I was thinking about when she stopped..I had no Ideal she wanted me to mention or any parts of my stressors?  actually I was thinking what I wanted for lunch but I never mention that to her I just said I was not thinking about anything in particular but my stress/anxiety level was getting higher at the moment.

I agree with dustoff11,go fishing...but I have avoiding problems I do not like to mingle in the public or be out in public  I only go out in public when I absolutely have to rather VA  Appointments or having to go to the grocery store I get what I need and get back home   my home  and bedroom is my sanctuary  so-to speak.

I don't really mind going to the VA Therapist because she has help me cope with this crap  learning me the tools needed to get by during a panic attact  and anxiety flare ups..I have anger Issues and I've had it a long time  take it out on my kids while they were growing up and my spouse...I am lucky she stayed with me all these years  and my children are grown up now educated and have good jobs and their own family's  and the biggest thing to me is they don;t hate me for the way I treated them during their childhood I deprived my family of a lot of happy things because of my behavior, we never went to family get togethers and my spouse covered for me all these years when someone would ask her whats wrong with me.

Tried for years to hide my behavior problem and finally seeked help. (at the VA)

No I was never physically abusive to my family  just was never active to go do the things family's would do together .

but I just can't cope in public  if someone walks up to me I go into fighting mode and my heart rate goes up  and anxiety gets the best of me...I still have a fear of everyone wanting to do harm to me   you guys know that have PTSD  knows what I mean here..I just can't get myself to understand or get out of this train of thought OR Lose the Avoidiness ..I go to therapy because that is why I am alive today  and just getting on hadit and trying to help veterans win claims and visiting with you all.

• HadIt.com Elder

Buck I think that being able to help veterans the way you do not only is great because you're actually sharing what you know and helping people. But, just as important, doing the great job that you do really helps you a lot. It is your way to "reach out" to others and yet you are home and feel safe. It is a win win situation and I hope you continue to do this ver a very long time. Keep it up brother!