VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

No Diagnosis But Submitted Claim

Rate this question

oldtimer15

Question

Sorry to bother everyone, but I have a few questions about the claims process.

Has anyone ever been approved for PTSD or another mental health disorder without first getting a diagnosis?

I recently filed for PTSD and anxiety and had a C&P exam. The C&P examiner said I had symptoms of PTSD. Does her filling out the DBQ suffice for a diagnosis?

Or am I probably going to get denied?

If I get denied, should I go to the VA and then get an official diagnosis?

Apologies if these are rookie questions.

Thank you for the help.

Number 1, of Caluza elements (required for SC) is a Current diagnosis, followed by an in service event (with ptsd this is called a stressor), and a nexus.  

However, I can not opine whether or not "symptoms of PTSD" will suffice for Caluza element one.  Are you being treated for PTSD?  Are you taking anti depressants?  

Often, in our records, there are diagnosis we dont know about because we have not read our file!  

If you want SC for PTSD, you can go ahead and apply, but you wont be service connected until you meet the Caluza elements.  

You will also need to be in treatement for PTSD.  

I have noticed that docs "dont always" diagnose you, in the notes, but they prescribe medications to treat PTSD.  

However, do you think a doctor would prescribe meds for ptsd if (he thought) you did not have the disorder?  Doctors are not supposed to hand out prescriprition meds like candy at a parade, they have to think it will help their disorders.    For that reason, I think a doctor prescribing meds for ptsd would suffice.    But a diagnosis in your medical records somewhere would be much better.  

The C & P exam results are the first hurdle.It seems the doctor did give you a PTSD diagnosis.

However unless you fall into the 2010 PTSD regulations , you will need a stressor that the VA can confirm.

https://community.hadit.com/topic/55367-2010-ptsd-regulations/

Edited by Berta

Old timer:  

IF you were a combat Vet, then the criteria for verifying the stressor is reduced.  Frankly, tho I have not seen these terms used, if you served in combat, then I think the stressor is presumed.  

On the battlefield, in battle, most people see stuff that would be called a stessor.  For example its not only a stressor to be shot at, but its also a stressor to be looking around your shoulder all the time because you COULD be shot at any time.  While Im not a combat Vet, my son is, and he has told me things he tells no one else.  Dont you think it would be scary knowing people are out there trying to kill you?   Even if you never get shot at, it has to be nerve wracking to know the enemy is looking for an opportunity to murder you.    YOU are their "Prey"..just like a lion hunting a deer..except he is hunting you..and a human is a much more skilled hunter than a lion!!!