VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

No Diagnosis But Submitted Claim

Rate this question

oldtimer15

Question

Sorry to bother everyone, but I have a few questions about the claims process.

Has anyone ever been approved for PTSD or another mental health disorder without first getting a diagnosis?

I recently filed for PTSD and anxiety and had a C&P exam. The C&P examiner said I had symptoms of PTSD. Does her filling out the DBQ suffice for a diagnosis?

Or am I probably going to get denied?

If I get denied, should I go to the VA and then get an official diagnosis?

Apologies if these are rookie questions.

Thank you for the help.

59 minutes ago, Valhalla0321 said:

Please Comment:

My PTSD claim has been deferred, i have diagnosis and my MH with VA has connected ptsd as in service however i have a C&P outsourced in a couple of days- any suggestions please help me.

If it helps, I was just honest. But more importantly, I made sure I knew what all my stressors were beforehand and succinctly gave my story to how it has affected me to this day. Good luck!

• HadIt.com Elder

Valhalla0321

Not sure what your situation is, but If you have a C&P,scheduled, you must attend. If you have diagnosis from your doc, bring it with you. If this ia a follow up C&P for an already s-c condition then just tell them how things are. When asked, tell them about your most recent BAD day, not necessarily what you feel the day of the exam.  I'm not sure what you mean when you say your claim is deferred, but if it is a claim you haven't yet been awarded for MH and/or PTSD, there are a lot of similar experiences posted here on Hadit. Do your research. Don't get mad at the examiner. If you're married, bring your spouse. 

If you are nervous about your exam, tell the examiner that you are nervous.  What GB means about not getting mad at the examiner is right and sometimes hard to do.  They will be poking around in your life and may want to talk about your stressors.  They are not being jerks, just doing their job, sometimes they are jerks though.  Do your best and remember that even this too shall pass.  If you have your records, bring them as GB stated.  They have an entire file to go through during the exam and most examiners appreciate someone who can point them to information they need.  Do bring your spouse but do not be surprised if they do not allow them to come in.  Be wary of the examiner if they do not though.  Lastly tell the full truth and nothing but.  If you exaggerate and they catch you it blows your entire credibility.

• Lead Moderator
16 hours ago, oldtimer15 said:

Thanks, shrekthetank1. I will continue to fight it. I was denied quite a few years ago, so I'm outside the one-year appeal. Got to get myself to the docs to get my new evidence ready.

Even so you can still try to fight the EED as your condition has not gotten better!  

Yes - diagnosed as result of Nov 2019 C&P, 12.5 years after PTSD was noted (not diagnosed) in my retirement exam.

VA Remand process resulted in a request for PTSD evidence.  I submitted detailed synopsis of four non-combat stressor events and a 10 year old buddy letter that supported one event.

C&P examiner was a clinical psychologist and had read all stressor info prior to C&P. Total duration of C&P was 50 minutes.  Granted 30% PTSD.

The rating decision only mentioned one stressor.  That event was tied to the award of a Soldiers Medal and was the least severe of the four submitted.  Don't know why the rater chose that one but guess it doesn't matter.

Good luck with your claim.