VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Residuals of heat stroke - heat intolerance

Rate this question

Phild523

Question

4 answers to this question

I have no information regards a heat stroke claim, however, I will be very interested in your outcome. 

I was medevaced out of Iraq with heat stroke/exhaustion in '03 to Kuwait City Hospital for 4 days, then RTD.

Curious what symptoms you claimed and what they will say, and what scorecard they used,

Keep us posted,

Hamslice

Hamslice, I claimed residuals of heat stroke. I have it in my service medical record and did not think I d even get an exam for it. I spoke with the examiner about my heat intolerence. Basically not being able to be outside in the heat or direct sun. She wrote at least as likely as not and stated I did not have issues before the heat stroke.

@Phild523, the bad news is that they might rate you as 0%.  I do not know what they would rate you as.  They finally rated me for PTSD, they said my heat intolerance was all in my mind, never mind the 108 degree temperatures in my medical records.  They actually tried to say my temperatures were the result of my mind causing the problem.  The good news is the attached PDF.  The other good news is that if you start to suffer neuropathy later in life they may rate you for that.  It was a long haul but I was rated for neuropathy due to my heat injuries.  I was also rated for migraines caused by my heat injury.

The biggest fight you will have is that they say a heatstroke does not cause residuals that can be rated.scan0101.pdf

Sorry to be so negative but I fought for five years to be recognized by the military and thirty-five years with the VA.

long term effects of heat injury.pdf

First, a rating of 0% for a service connected disability is not bad news, definitely not great, but not bad.  I have a 0% service connected disability that has a 30% secondary to it.  So, there is hope.  NOT service connected is bad.

As far as my heat injury goes, I am service connected for a bunch of things already that could be attributed to the heat injury, so not sure what I would gain.  However, I do have a new claim going forward that I have a shot at and might add both the heat injury and the Gulf War Syndrome as possible causes.  Let them do the work.

Definitely not a long shot as I was treated while in service and now take meds for.

As always, it means nothing unless you make the claim,

Hamslice

And thanks for the PDF, worth the read for me.  I was in Iraq when that was written.

Edited by Hamslice
cause I can