VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can't believe what VA Billed my insurance!

Rate this topic

Since I recently moved to another state I decided to try the VA Primary Care facility near me.  I am 50% service connected for back. 

The PCP wanted to order some blood work for my first visit. I had no health conditions except the back pain.  I assumed this was the basic stuff any doctor would ask for to check cholesterol, etc.   When I went to the VA lab they drew about 6 tubes of blood.  I joked with the nurse and called her a Vampire.  She said your doctor ordered a lot of tests.  When I get the results I was iterated to find out they drug tested me.  I am not a drug user and didn’t pop positive for anything, but I felt a bit misled. 

I logged into my private insurance portal.  They billed my private insurance $8600.00 for the blood tests.  The discounted amount is $4,000 which the insurance company paid.   Luckily my deductible was met for the year.

I noticed my doctor already has lab work scheduled for me again early next year.   With my private doctor I never had more than one per year unless there was a specific problem we were tracking.   Is this how the VA is making money and driving up insurance costs at same time?   I feel like I should be reporting these outrages prices to somebody.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@USMCVMO If you are SC at 50% and the VA bills your insurance for treatment, you don't have to pay anything. Technically, they are not supposed to bill for treatment of SC conditions, but they frequently do it anyway. Regardless, it can actually help you because it should goes towards your out of pocket and deductible.

• HadIt.com Elder

I know the VA can bill our private insurance, we are supposed to let them know if we  GET THE INSURANCE OR have any other insurance  including medicare.(SO THEY CAN BILL THEM A PART OF THE COST)

I remember back when I first started using the VA I HAD TO PAY A SMALL CO-PAY it was not that much so I didn't gripe,  I was 0% S,C,..AND when I got my 50% NO CO PAYS..IF Only I had known at the time I should have saved up all my prescription receipts from the private drug stores like Walgreens   CVS ect,,ect,,,VA will Reimburse you for those.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
9 minutes ago, USMCVMO said:

In my case I don't have a problem with them billing my insurance since this was a check-up bloodwork and not related to my SC.   My grievance is the amount they billed for the blood-draw and lab work.  

It can seem excessive. It comes down to the kind of labs which were ordered because some of them can be expensive.