• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Question

Hello,

Quick background; I injured my back severely in Kuwait in 2013(I was 22) no proper medical exam or treatment at the peek of the injury just pumped full of pain meds. Once back in the states it still took months before Someone decided I actually needed an xray just to be told I was fine. There were times where I’d experience temporary paralysis below the waist, daily pain levels above 5, numbness, pinching and burning sensations in lower back and to be told nothing was wrong made me want to give up and suffer in silence because no1 seem to take me serious. However the pain was so intense I found myself in the ER sometimes twice a week with strange knots in my back that were shrugged off as muscle spasms and just given more pain meds. I was given a 10% rating after separating in 2014. I didn’t know what that meant or why. Almost 7yrs later the pain is worse back and forth with the VA with treatment that either aggravates or just doesn’t work and I recently discovered that I was diagnosed with sciatic nerve pain BUT it stated it didn’t come from work. I couldn’t believe it. I now live in MD near DC and although terribly discouraged feel I need to fight what seems to be a system that hasn’t cared for me properly since day 1 and appeal. The question is. IS IT WORTH IT? I paid out of pocket for X-rays and made some discoveries about my back that make much more since than what the VA tells me. Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Most of us have been through something similar.  I have been fighting VA since 2002.  In 2009, I was awarded 100 percent p and T.  (I started with a denial, then 0 percent, then 40 percent and finally 100 percent)  Im still in appeals appealing the effective date, as I lost my home waiting on VA benefits in 2005.  I could not go 3 years without income and keep my home.  Now, Im in a fight to get (my home) back, because I could buy it back with the retro if I win my EED.  

Was it worth it?  You bet.  The more difficult the fight, the sweeter the victory.  

Hello Anharris,

In my opinion it is always worth the fight at the end of the day!  With your new found information do you have a diagnosis?  Also have you looked at where you would be rating wise when you go to fight this?  Also what other secondary conditions do you have because of your back?

I would start you claim on Ebenefits today so you can finish it within a year and save your spot!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anharris, As Shrek says, it is ALWAYS worth the fight. Time goes by whether you file a claim or not, so why not file. I would submit an intent to file on ebenefits today. Simple to do. It locks down your effective date to the day you file (usually),  and order your c-file today as well. You want to see what is in your file already for the 1o% rating for your back or nerve. It is quite possible, repeat possible, that you may have other disabilities related to your current service-connected, s-c, disability. You have a year to complete your ITF which will give you time to get your c-file and determine what else you need to pursue. You can do this! We are here to help if you need it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, GBArmy said:

Anharris, As Shrek says, it is ALWAYS worth the fight. Time goes by whether you file a claim or not, so why not file. I would submit an intent to file on ebenefits today. Simple to do. It locks down your effective date to the day you file (usually),  and order your c-file today as well. You want to see what is in your file already for the 1o% rating for your back or nerve. It is quite possible, repeat possible, that you may have other disabilities related to your current service-connected, s-c, disability. You have a year to complete your ITF which will give you time to get your c-file and determine what else you need to pursue. You can do this! We are here to help if you need it. 

This is great information thank you both.  I did not know I could start the process online. Which I am logged in to do so now. I have issues with a few discs which is what I discovered with my out of pocket xrays and last I went to the VA was diagnosed with back arthritis. I am not sure how I would determine what my percentage would/should be.  I was also told because I had a surgery (which turned into 2 because the surgery was done improperly the 1st time) that should have also been a rating. What if there is information missing from my files?

He who dares, wins

• Like 2