VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

IBS- File as Gulf War Syndrome or secondary to rated PTSD?

Rate this question

Mcbwv

Question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Shrek is right. Recurrent IBS for Gulf War veterans falls nicely under "functional gastrointestinal disorders". This link should help:

https://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/publications/gulf-war/gulf-war-winter-2016/gulf-war-presumptives.asp

One other option: Do both.

You are free to argue that your IBS is

• More than likely a functional disorder presumptive to GW exposure
  • At least as likely as not secondary to PTSD
    • Thus Service Connected Due to Presumptive and Secondary reasons

In my own claim I am arguing SC for several conditions that I have evidence could be linked to more than one condition.  As an example, are my Migranes due to my

• fibromyalgia
  • neck and shoulder conditions
  • PTSD
  • Allergies/Sinusitis
  • Directly connected as I was treated for headaches on active duty

It could be one of the above, or a combination of several conditions.  In the end the arguments add up that they are SC because it is Most Likely it is one of the above and the RO can assign them to whatever he chooses.

• HadIt.com Elder

Hyrb is right on. When in doubt, and you have the  evidence, list multiple causes. Let  the RO sort it out. It sure helps if you can get an IMO from your doc that lists rationale and that any one or combination is more likely than not to have caused your disability. But making the RO rater having to deny all of them and their combinations is a tough thing to do sometime.

I filed as a gulf war presumptive with a fully developed claim. I had a colonoscopy, blood work up and a fecal exam to rule out parasites. You need to cross your T's and dot your I's, they low balled me with a 0% rating because my doctor didn't keep good medical notes so they couldn't show that I complained about stomach pain, evidence should have put me at 30%.  Now I see my doctor every couple months and make sure that he notes my complaints of stomach pain, I'll be filing for an increase soon. Good luck.

• HadIt.com Elder

grayling12 When in Rome, do as the Romans do. When dealing with the VA for disability claims, do what the VA does. Use their rules (sometimes they don't use their rules but we can't do much about that.) Get the diagnostic info from repeated visits to your your doc.Get a dbq and a nexus letter and resubmit under Supplemental lane. If you have the disability, you have the symptoms, you have s-c , and the nexus you will win. Be mindful of timing; 12 months to resubmit.