VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% Granted .... but ........?

Rate this topic

MarkP

After battling the VA system for a few years I was granted 100% for Leukemia (chronic lymphocytic leukemia). Prior to December 2018 it was rated at 100% because it was an "active disease", after that date it is now rated at 0% if I'm at the "watch & wait" stage (no chemo, treatment, etc.). The Decision Letter states they have to rate me under the "old" system because my case was filed before the new rating took effect, therefore I'm rated at 100%. The letter goes on to state that my "current evaluation of my chronic lymphocytic leukemia has been deferred as an additional examination is required" as there is "some indications from record that there is a potential of improvement that requires a VA examination to determine the proper evaluation".

My question is if this "comment" for a VA Evaluation is from the "old rating system" (which I think it would be) and they want to make sure I'm not "cured" or in "remission".... (?) I'm not sure how to interpret this. I feel good about their rating and decision but don't want to take anything for granted and have the rug pulled out from under my feet. I anticipate another letter at any time informing me to report for a C&P Exam.

Thanks for listening.

• HadIt.com Elder

MarkP

Since it is a form of cancer, the VA will usually require another or current C&P to verify that your condition hasn't improved since the last. You have nothing to fear unless that is true. More than likely, I'll bet you wish it were true, but it is what it is unfortunately. Be sure to go to the exam. And, as Richard said, if the VA has updated the diagnostic codes for your condition since you started your claim, they have to give you the highest possible rating between what the old code was and the current one. That's also a good thing for you. Take care.

That is correct and this is the changed ratings schedule :

"-The VA changed the codes and ratings for conditions of the Hematologic and Lymphatic Systems (the Blood) on December 9th, 2018. See the Historic VASRDs page for all codes and ratings from before this date. Not all codes were changed, so if the code cannot be found on the Historic VASRDs page, the ratings did not change.--"

"Code 7703: All Leukemia except myelogenous leukemia is rated under this code. Leukemia is a cancer of the blood or bone marrow that causes the over-production of immature white blood cellsimmature.bmp. If it is active and undergoing treatment, then it is rated 100%. This 100% rating continues for 6 months after the last treatment. Then the condition will be reevaluated and re-rated based on any lasting symptoms or other conditions caused by the leukemia or the treatment.

If the leukemia is chronic lymphocytic leukemia or monoclonal B-cell lymphocytosis, it is rated as all other leukemias unless it is in the first stage (Rai Stage 0) and there are no symptoms. Even when active, chronic lymphocytic leukemia in Rai Stage 0 does not cause any symptoms and so is rated 0%."

http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/theblood.html

Thanks for the comments everyone. It seems I can't reply individually to each of you so I have to reply yo everyone in one "reply".

Richard1954: Yes, that verbiage was in the Decision Letter exactly.

GBArmy: Agree with your comment. I analyzed the letter for a few hours a did a little research on it. The VA doesn't make it easy to understand these things. I just want to make sure I give the VA everything they request. I guess they have to do their own due diligence to insure I have what I claim. I do see an oncologist every three months to have my blood drawn and analyzed. I'm sure the VA won't want to see any of that paperwork and want their own. The exam will no doubt be a "C&P Exam" and I know how those go.

Berta: I have read the code definitions. It looks like I got in right under the wire with the new change. Since the initial rating of RAI 0, I'm pretty sure I'm one more RAI stage higher now with shortness of breath, loss of concentration, etc. Who knows, perhaps the VA has a magic cure! 🙂 I'll ask when I go in!!!

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use