VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% p&t tax exempt question

Rate this question

metallicide

Question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
1 hour ago, Buck52 said:

If your county gives the examption  then usually like Richard 1954 mention the exemption is usually good through Jan to April 1st  this is the time to apply for the exemption...

if you don't make it then you will need to pay the property tax the rest of the year  then come Jan of the next year you get your exemption  and they should refund your taxes that you paid that prior year, I think they will only go back 2 years

some times the employees at the tax office isd full of BS and you need to go above them

I am not so sure when the exemption went into effect? I think 2008? its another top benefit for 100% or TDIU P&T Veterans

Here is the property tax exemption criteria for Texas.  you need to check your state for the correct tax criteria for the 100% disabled veterans exemption.

Property Tax Exemption For Texas Disabled Vets! | TexVet

https://www.texvet.org › property tax 

If you apply and qualify for the current tax year as well as the prior tax year, you will be granted the 100% Disabled Veteran Homestead Exemption for both years. Effective January 1, 2012, you may receive this exemption for the applicable portion of the year immediately upon qualification.

In Alabama, the application period for the exemption is the last three months of the year to be exempt from taxes the following year. The county office said I did not qualify for the prior years because I did not file on time. I agree that this smells like BS.

My 100% P&T effective date is Dec 2009. Alabama granted the exemption. All I need to do each year is turn in a form certifying I still qualify for the exemption.

I have a couple of calls in to some people to see what shakes out.