VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

diagnosed with type 2 diabetes

Rate this question

serpico

Question

Hi All,

I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in 1990, 15 years after I was out of the service. Due to me not being able to control it I have been on insulin. My job working split shifts and eating on the run was not conducive to keeping it under control.  My most recent endicrinologist continues to treat me with insulin as if I have type 1. In my medical records it states that I was diagnosed with type 2 in 1990. I applied for diasability and was denied. I believed that the VA only looked at my most recent endicrinologists records. I am going to appeal and was hoping that someone else may have had this problem and if they appealed and won. Any information would be helpful!

3 answers to this question

Veteran Serpico, my heart goes out to you dealing with diabetes.

The battle is daily, but it can be won.

In my opinion, not in my expertise, try intermittent fasting, you fast for 16 hours a day and eat 8 hours a day.

The meals have to be nutritious and sensible, but its the best way to regulate insulin levels and drop a few pounds.

Next, I would get a VSO to help with your claim.

If you were diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in service and continue treatment today for type 1 or 2 this should be a slam dunk.

You might get your endocrinologist to look at your service medical records and write a nexus connecting the initial diagnosis of diabetes with your current care for diabetes.

In addition, have them fill out a DBQ.

All medical notes between diagnosis and today would be helpful in showing illness was and is still present.

Your claim definitely can be won.

If you are an in-country Vietnam Veteran or fall into the Blue Water Navy criteria for Agent Orange, ( HR 299/And Procopio in our AO forum)

Diabetes Mellitus is a presumptive AO condition.

I helped a vet prove he had diabetes mellitus inservice, in the 1960s, that was not diagnosed until many many years later.His claim had already been at the CAVC twice.His lawyers had never even looked at his SMRs.I wrote up my findings as to the SMR symptoms etc, indicating DMII and his private Endo wrote an IMO for free and he won.

Also I proved that my deceased husband had DMII from Vietnam service, awarded 15 years after he died , and the VA had never diagnosed or treated him properly for it.

Nothing is impossible but in cases like yours,I sure agree with what  Fat said to get an endocrinologist's review of your SMRs.

What were the reasons for denial?  It sounds like you had a diagnosis, but did you have an in service event or aggravation, and a nexus?  (If you are an in country VN Vet, as Berta explained, you should be a presumptive and may not need a nexus or in service event.  )  

Did you appeal the 1990 denial?  (My guess is you did not).  

Reopening due to N and M evidence may help especially if you have discovered a medical exam that may have indicated a pre diabetic or diabetic type glucose levels while in service.