VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Odd C&P Follow-Up Call

Rate this question

Foxhound6

Question

I just had my C&P exam for my back and neck yesterday. The doctor ordered new xrays of my entire back as well. Today, I got a call from the CP doc, asking to speak to me about my xrays. He stated he found MORE things that were not caught on the xray from a few years ago (Scoliosis and some sort of issue that is making me retain stool, in addition to what the VA had found previously.)

He told me "This is a C&P exam so I am not calling to treat you or anything BUT I do have a few recommendations" to which he told me to get the issues followed up on.

I am unsure as to the assistance/damage this may do to my claim. To me, it seems like the condition just worsening as the original incident happened close to 10 years ago. However, I guess I wont really know until I can see his DBQ/Notes on My Health E Vet? Anyone have any similar experience?

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

This is an encouraging thread because of several positive comments that VA personnel actually help/advise veterans on disability claims. We all knock the VA for a lot of legitimate reasons, especially where they omit or disregard our evidence, or, worse yet, try to deny illegally. But it is helpful when we do get positive advise from an examiner or tech to submit for additional benefits. Don't worry, I'm not going soft. I just think it is great to hear something positive about the VA and the claims process. Kinda encourages you you know. And if it happens to you, be sure to thank that employee for doing the right thing. It will reinforce and encourage to help other veterans in the future.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

You had one of those rare C&P examiners that actually cares about veterans. Most examiners do just what the VA asks and you never hear from them again unless you need additional tests or imaging done.

Retaining stools is something that actually can appear on an x-ray (shows up as dark regions). It could be caused by a number of things. If you take any medications used to treat your SC conditions (or the one you are filing for), look up their side effects to see if they include constipation. Consider filing a claim for secondary SC. 

Please check my blog entry on secondary service connection for some examples.

If this was for new SC, did the doc tell you if he opined in your favor? You will probably have to wait for the report to be available to find that out.

By itself, the scoliosis qualifies for a 20% rating by itself if you are SC for it. Once you have the rest of the numbers you could speculate your actual rating. I included an extract from the rating criteria for you to review. 

§4.71a   Schedule of ratings—musculoskeletal system

General Rating Formula for Diseases and Injuries of the Spine  
(For diagnostic codes 5235 to 5243 unless 5243 is evaluated under the Formula for Rating Intervertebral Disc Syndrome Based on Incapacitating Episodes):  
With or without symptoms such as pain (whther or not it radiates), stiffness, or aching in the area of the spine affected by residuals of injury or disease  
Unfavorable ankylosis of the entire spine 100
Unfavorable ankylosis of the entire thoracolumbar spine 50
Unfavorable ankylosis of the entire cervical spine; or, forward flexion of the thoracolumbar spine 30 degrees or less; or, favorable ankylosis of the entire thoracolumbar spine 40
Forward flexion of the cervical spine 15 degrees or less; or, favorable ankylosis of the entire cervical spine 30
Forward flexion of the thoracolumbar spine greater than 30 degrees but not greater than 60 degrees; or, forward flexion of the cervical spine greater than 15 degrees but not greater than 30 degrees; or, the combined range of motion of the thoracolumbar spine not greater than 120 degrees; or, the combined range of motion of the cervical spine not greater than 170 degrees; or, muscle spasm or guarding severe enough to result in an abnormal gait or abnormal spinal contour such as scoliosis, reversed lordosis, or abnormal kyphosis 20
Forward flexion of the thoracolumbar spine greater than 60 degrees but not greater than 85 degrees; or, forward flexion of the cervical spine greater than 30 degrees but not greater than 40 degrees; or, combined range of motion of the thoracolumbar spine greater than 120 degrees but not greater than 235 degrees; or, combined range of motion of the cervical spine greater than 170 degrees but not greater than 335 degrees; or, muscle spasm, guarding, or localized tenderness not resulting in abnormal gait or abnormal spinal contour; or, vertebral body fracture with loss of 50 percent or more of the height 10

2 hours ago, Vync said:

You had one of those rare C&P examiners that actually cares about veterans. Most examiners do just what the VA asks and you never hear from them again unless you need additional tests or imaging done.

- I am fairly relieved to read that! I thought it was rather odd to get a call after the exam..

Retaining stools is something that actually can appear on an x-ray (shows up as dark regions). It could be caused by a number of things. If you take any medications used to treat your SC conditions (or the one you are filing for), look up their side effects to see if they include constipation. Consider filing a claim for secondary SC. 

-I do not take any pain medications but I do take a generic muscle relaxer from time to time for bad days/flare ups, which I informed him of during exam. Ill look into secondaries for sure.

If this was for new SC, did the doc tell you if he opined in your favor? You will probably have to wait for the report to be available to find that out.

This is a supplemental claim for a new SC claim, yes. Unfortunately, he did not tell me whether or not he was opining in my favor. I would assume if he is a straight shooter like you feel, he may not have felt comfortable telling me so,? Hopefully that is the case LOL I do feel though that if he weren't, he probably wouldn't have bothered calling at all??

By itself, the scoliosis qualifies for a 20% rating by itself if you are SC for it. Once you have the rest of the numbers you could speculate your actual rating. I included an extract from the rating criteria for you to review. 

Thanks! I have seen this and am very unsure of where Ill fall until I can see his DBQ. The claim definitely just got more interesting to say the least.

Edited by Foxhound6

I had a C&P on my right shoulder for an increase. 

They scheduled x-rays for both shoulders, for comparison reasons, prior to the C&P exam.  The examiner commented on my having the same issue with my left shoulder, as seen by x-ray, as I did with my right.  She told me to file for it.

And I did,

Hamslice

GB Army

I agree! Not having done a C&P like this since 2011 or 2012, I felt good going in but once the ROMS were happening I had no idea how it was going and the mind just ran with it. It's good to hear my experience seems to have been a good one!

I'll post the redacted C&P in my Supplemental Claim - Spine post once I can access it.