VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Aid and Attendance

Rate this question

MarkP

Question

The question is for my father who has an Aid and Attendance Pension. He's had Aid & Attendance for many years now and he now requires much needed assistance. Bathing, getting dressed, basic hygiene, etc. He also suffers from dementia somewhat. I had thought that he would be able to file an update of need and get placed in a higher category with Aid & Attendance, but from what I'm reading that's not so. Am I missing something. He's not blind, not missing and arms or legs, or doesn't receive a disability from the VA. Is there anything I can help him qualify for at this point? The cost at his assisted living for him just skyrocketed due to the increased care that he needs. Thanks.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

The first question I would ask is there any chance any of his disabilities could be service connected?  Have you applied?  Been denied?

A and A for pension is non service connected.  If he were service connected, the amount payable is about double what pension is.  

I think a 100 percent SC Vet with A and A is 4099 per month if he has once child and a spouse.  Also, there are "higher levels" of A and A, if SC, if he needs a NURSE, and not just A and A (non nurse).  

Veterans Pension

Supplemental Income for Wartime Veterans

VA helps Veterans and their families cope with financial challenges by providing supplemental income through the Veterans Pension benefit. Veterans Pension is a tax-free monetary benefit payable to low-income wartime Veterans.

Eligibility

Generally, a Veteran must have at least 90 days of active duty service, with at least one day during a wartime period to qualify for a VA Pension. If you entered active duty after September 7, 1980, generally you must have served at least 24 months or the full period for which you were called or ordered to active duty (with some exceptions), with at least one day during a wartime period.

In addition to meeting minimum service requirements, the Veteran must be:

• Age 65 or older, OR
  • Totally and permanently disabled, OR
  • A patient in a nursing home receiving skilled nursing care, OR
  • Receiving Social Security Disability Insurance, OR
  • Receiving Supplemental Security Income

Your yearly family income must be less than the amount set by Congress to qualify for the Veterans Pension benefit. Learn more about income and net worth limitation, and see an example of how VA calculates the VA Pension benefit.

Aid & Attendance and Housebound

Veterans and survivors who are eligible for a VA pension and require the aid and attendance of another person, or are housebound, may be eligible for additional monetary payment. These benefits are paid in addition to monthly pension, and they are not paid without eligibility to Pension.

Since Aid and Attendance and Housebound allowances increase the pension amount, people who are not eligible for a basic pension due to excessive income may be eligible for pension at these increased rates. A Veteran or surviving spouse may not receive Aid and Attendance benefits and Housebound benefits at the same time.

Aid & Attendance (A&A)

The Aid & Attendance (A&A) increased monthly pension amount may be added to your monthly pension amount if you meet one of the following conditions:

• You require the aid of another person in order to perform personal functions required in everyday living, such as bathing, feeding, dressing, attending to the wants of nature, adjusting prosthetic devices, or protecting yourself from the hazards of your daily environment
  • You are bedridden, in that your disability or disabilities requires that you remain in bed apart from any prescribed course of convalescence or treatment
  • You are a patient in a nursing home due to mental or physical incapacity
  • Your eyesight is limited to a corrected 5/200 visual acuity or less in both eyes; or concentric contraction of the visual field to 5 degrees or less

Veterans who receive pension are not entitled to higher levels of Aid and Attendance.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I can't reply to each separately. The A&A is a pension for my father but not service connected. He has no service connected disabilities. A&A was the first time I had dealings with the VA in attempt to help my father. His care level has escalated at this point (He's 80) and the price range now is outside the family's level of finances. I've done all I can do to help him. It's in God's hands now. Thanks for the help.