VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

can 100% SC get financial help with service dog training

Rate this question

autumn

Question

recently got a puppy and looking into possibility for financial help with "service dog training" for him.

i called VA and a VSO but they didn't know or i didn't ask the right question. the trainer will allow a monthly payment plan for disabled veterans which helps. is there such financial help through VA available? tia

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

There is a place near me who trains service dogs, then donates them to Service disabled Vets. 

Im sure they hire people to do this, but you would have to work within their program and criteria.  https://4pawsforability.org/

If you qualify, you can get a service dog there for disabled Vets, according to their website.  

Or, You could try Voc Rehab, such as ILP.  

Edited by broncovet

I tried to get a service dog thru ILp and I was turned down, this was some time ago,  I know of no program that the government has that will pay for training of a service dog. There are many organizations that will get veterans a service dog, but each organization has their own rules, some will only help a war veteran, some limit it to a veteran with PTSD, some limit help to the recent war veterans.. and some will provide a service dog to any veteran. You should do a search for Service dogs for veterans numerous names will pop up. Also most will require that you commit to 3-4 weeks away from home training with the animal.  

The VA will not assist with the cost of training or paying for a service dog, if it is decided by your providers that a service dog is an option for you, then a packet is sent to prosthetics and there is a huge process and your service dog MUST come from either a guide dog international or ADI accredited organization and only then they will approve travel and lodging for you to attend training to go and be matched with your service dog and its veterinary care as well as any  equipment it may need according to your disabilities will be paid for.   I have a service dog from an ADI organization and I did not wait years nor pay anything, the VA pays all of his veterinary care and for all of his equipment.  It  wasn't an easy or short battle with the VA mostly because no one at my local VA had any idea what the heck they needed to fill out or what to do.  I had to find out myself and fight.  If you are training your own dog then you will not get the VA to pay for anything. 

On 12/12/2019 at 1:59 PM, broncovet said:

There is a place near me who trains service dogs, then donates them to Service disabled Vets. 

Im sure they hire people to do this, but you would have to work within their program and criteria.  https://4pawsforability.org/

If you qualify, you can get a service dog there for disabled Vets, according to their website.  

Or, You could try Voc Rehab, such as ILP.  

thanks much for your reply. i looked at the website and will call them and get the details.

never thought about VocRehab. they helped me with school years ago...thanks for reminding me.