VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

can 100% SC get financial help with service dog training

Rate this question

autumn

Question

recently got a puppy and looking into possibility for financial help with "service dog training" for him.

i called VA and a VSO but they didn't know or i didn't ask the right question. the trainer will allow a monthly payment plan for disabled veterans which helps. is there such financial help through VA available? tia

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

A service dog you will not see until it is trained, certified and ready to perform a service.

A comfort dog, is a pet, and totally different.  The horses, canaries, raccoons, cats, dogs, snakes, etc., you see on planes are comfort animals.

If you want a service dog, it will not be your puppy.

Just sayin,

Hamslice

On 12/12/2019 at 6:12 PM, Richard1954 said:

I tried to get a service dog thru ILp and I was turned down, this was some time ago,  I know of no program that the government has that will pay for training of a service dog. There are many organizations that will get veterans a service dog, but each organization has their own rules, some will only help a war veteran, some limit it to a veteran with PTSD, some limit help to the recent war veterans.. and some will provide a service dog to any veteran. You should do a search for Service dogs for veterans numerous names will pop up. Also most will require that you commit to 3-4 weeks away from home training with the animal.  

thanks for reply.

i have been doing online searches and found basically the same lists of varying requirements as what you listed. some have zero refund also once day 1 of training starts. understandable from their view. they make time slots which could have been filled if one doesn't show or whatever. ironic is we have physical disabilities, that equates to possible some days we might not be able to make it. oh well. so now i've limited my searches to those close by and that come to your home. i've found a few. and these have discounts for veterans with needs and payment plans. i decided i can't or won't get on a plane and go somewhere for weeks paying travel and hotel fees . i still have issues with small crowded spaces and also don't have that much dough. so things are promising on this front here locally. and what @seminoles linked, i'll read up and check on opts.

On 12/13/2019 at 1:54 PM, seminoles said:

Here is a link to the best information on the VA's service dog guidelines.  My service dog was approved because I have a mobility disability and I know veterans that have ratings less than 100% that have been approved but have mobility disabilities as well.  https://www.prosthetics.va.gov/ServiceAndGuideDogs.asp 

thanks much! i'll read over this and check with my doc at SCI/D. just a little bit of financial help can go a long way. my civilian neurologist will sign off on my needs if needed. maybe SCI/D will too. really good info at that link. thanks!!

On 12/14/2019 at 12:51 PM, Hamslice said:

A service dog you will not see until it is trained, certified and ready to perform a service.

A comfort dog, is a pet, and totally different.  The horses, canaries, raccoons, cats, dogs, snakes, etc., you see on planes are comfort animals.

If you want a service dog, it will not be your puppy.

Just sayin,

Hamslice

fully understand the distinctions.