VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veteran dies 10 days after Prostate Surgery

ROMAD

Question

I have a question about determining if an error occurred. I have a friend who recently went into the VA hospital to have his prostate removed (cancer). 9 days later he went to follow up appt. and the following day he passed away at home. The ambulance was called and he never regained consciousness and was taken to a civilian hospital. The hospital said they do not do autopsy's for death by natural causes. I guess I never really thought that a 50 year old dying after a surgery would be considered natural causes. The death certificate listed cause of death "Probable myocardial infarction". If the county is not willing to do an autopsy how do you make sure the VA did nothing wrong? They do not make it easy to find out if everything went the way it was suppose to. His wife is left to figure this all out so any info or suggestions would be appreciated. He was 60% service connected: Exercise induced Asthma, and some join issues from a collapsed parachute on active duty. Should he have been at 100% post surgery or is that only for service connected  disabilities surgeries. He was also a Gulf War Veteran (Desert Storm). Thanks in advance for any info.

• HadIt.com Elder

These claims are a heavy burden for most spouses except Berta.  Can you shop around for a legal eagle to help?  The lawyers generally don't work unless they can collect via some kind of wrongful death or malpractice.  I did work at the VA in 1984.  I saw some shocking things. I transferred to the USPS.  The people working at the VA at that time were idiots.  They like to practice on old, sick and poor vets who were just looking for clean sheets and a warm place to die.