VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertension ratings

Rate this question

mandermik1

Question

Hello,

I am going for my C&P exam in a few days and they want me to have documented recent BP readings. I have been on BP medication for 10 years and my BP is now below the established VA ratings. Will this be a denial? I have documented my meds and was wondering if under control with meds that my claim will be denied. By the was this is secondary to my diabetes II due to AO.

3 answers to this question

I dont know how to predict if it will be a denial, but, since you are on high blood pressure meds, it may be necesasry to go off them for a while to see what it is without meds. 

If your foot gets blown off, and they give you a new wooden leg, the VA isnt going to say, "Well, what do you need compensation for?  We gave you a wooden leg so it looks like you can hop around just fine."  

• HadIt.com Elder

My understanding is that they look in ebennies under vital signs and use those recorded readings. If you don't have enough recorded, they will make you go and get it done at a VA facility. As Bronc said, it's stupid, but the VA rates based on your actuals WHILE taking your meds, not what the readings have been when you weren't on the meds! Now, if prescribed, you don't have to take your meds if you don't want to, and that can't be a reason why the deny your claim. If you have a home monitor, you could skip a few dosages and see if your ratings meet the standard you are shooting for. If so, you might consider doing that for your "exam." I am not a doc or medical professional, so consult your own medical expert. I'm just sayin'.

My hypertension is SC and rated at 0% because the VA chose to use selected bp readings my current medical records. I filed an HLR and sent them "selected" readings as well which showed my bp was high. I have now been scheduled for a bp reading on 1/3/2020, with my meds I am under control. Without my meds Imy bp is high. I am not sure if I will go off my meds for this C&P, is it worth hurting my body or possibly having a stroke or heart attack. 

You need to also decide if by going off your meds will it cause you more health issues? You don't want to hurt your body for a 10% or 20% rating for hypertension. 

All I am saying make sure you think it through no matter what you decide.

Good luck with your C&P.