VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

?!?!?Obligation Dates?!?!?

Rate this question

blahsaysme2u

Question

another thing that has come up that i cant find any info. i have never heard of Obligation date before. i have searched google too and nothing. anyone know what this means? what are these dates? i have already entered my service dates and this is the next tab. 

thanks for any info

image.thumb.png.280175e817d9e7453370768b704c023d.png

• HadIt.com Elder

Seems it is your commitment date, or dates for your contract, start and ending. If you need to know, contact a state N.G. recruiter and confirm.

Unless you are in the Reserves or National Guard, this does not apply to you.  

For Reserves or National Guard, there is a minimum period of service to be eligbile for benefits which is different from Active Duty Veterans.  

In a nutshell, Reserves or National Guard "training" does not count toward military service for the purpose of benefits.  

If you want to know more about the reserve eligibility, read this:

https://www.benefits.va.gov/BENEFITS/benefits-summary/SummaryofVANationalGuardandReserve.pdf

• HadIt.com Elder

This is weird the VA has this showing in his ebenefits  or a letter they sent?

I know after I got out I was reserved for an additional 3 years before they sent my Honorable Discharge Certificate.

I think all veterans have this status.  that went in served their time and  then ETS  they are placed in the Military Reserves according to the Branch they served = US Army ,USMC, US NAVY, US AIR FORCE  for an additional 3 years before receiving his/her Honorable Discharge Certificate.

Buck, if I recall correctly, we had 2 choices in the early 1970's:

1.  We could serve 4 years OR

2.  We could serve 2 years AND 4 more years in reserve or National Guard.  

So, I did not serve in the reserve or national guard.  Now, they sent me letters to recruit me for years, but I knew that Reserve was not mandantory for me.  It was only mandantory if you served "only" 2 years.   I served 4 years and was done.  

I seem to recall the military called it, "EAOS".  That is, the date of the "End of your Active Obligated Service".  

As I may have mentioned, in the 70's, military service was "an obligation".  

Younger people where the military is all volunteer may not get that.  

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

Bronc my situation was similar. Drafted in 1969 and released from Vietnam 2 years later. The regulation at that time was you could go to inactive reserves if you served in 'Nam, which I did. No additional requirement.So,for 4 years no meetings, no notices, nothing. (thank you Uncle Sam!), Got my discharge 4 years later.

• HadIt.com Elder

Well when we enlisted   were committed to a 6 year obligation, 3 years active 3 years reserve.

I served 3 years  with an early out from President Nixon Implemented  at the time with the phase II Troop withdraw from Vietnam.I actually had 29 months served as active and got out 6 months early rather than continue my other 6 months  I was in my second year of my Nam tour.

so after I ETS , I had a commitment to ful -fil and that was being placed as as inactive reserves the next 3 years  although I didn't have to attend any drills or go anywhere..after those 3 years were up they sent me my Honorable Discharge. (As GB Army Mention)