VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Needing a CPAP Machine

Rate this topic

I had emailed the secretary for the director of the HVAMC about being scheduled for November 2020, she called me and said that was crazy. I told her that they told me the reason for the long wait time is because they only have two technicians to provide this service. She told me that she will bring this up with the director, she knows it is important for her husband also uses a CPAP. About 20 minutes after talking with Lisa (the secretary) the CPAP clinic called me and gave me an appointment for next Friday to get the new CPAP and equipment. 

As I am typing this the director's secretary just called me back to make sure someone called me and set up an appointment. She said she had spoken to Mr. Collins (the director about the staffing) and he said no it should not be taking that long. When we were talking, she said the person who originally called me was just an assistant and they did not know what was going on. I told her but the woman who just called to give me an appointment for next Friday said they are getting ready to schedule in for December 2020. Lisa said she will talk with the director and pass on the information. She agreed that there is no way it should be taking that long.

Long story short after emailing the director’s office I will get a CPAP machine soon. But in reality, it should not have taken this much effort to get a CPAP machine.

Edited by paulstrgn
spell check

Bronco...part of the problem is I had the sleep study done on the outside through Tricare since I was not SC connected yet for SA. I did give them the sleep study and prescription that was done so the VA had everything they needed. It is just that this location seems to have major issues with helping vets get CPAP machines. 

That is good advice back keeping old CPAP machines when I get a new one, this way I will always have a backup if one is ever needed.

I did ask about community care but they said it was not available for CPAP equipment, not sure if that is true or not. I did tell the secretary for the director that I was told it was not eligible for community care.

I really feel sorry for other vets who are waiting to be seen if it is taking 11 months...which is completely absurd to have to wait so long.

As always I thank everyone for their advice and comments, all are very helpful.

• HadIt.com Elder

Paul, two additional comments: 1) you said "long story short..." way too late for that brother!!! (you're not related to my wife are you?, )and 2) you said that the VA in Virginia isn't very good. Just wondering, where ARE they very good??? That's why this site is so great; veterans ask for help and BINGO, great ideas and advise is just a click away.

GB next time I won't give the Readers Digest version...haha

The VA sub office at Fort Belvoir was really good, but it was inside a military hospital...lol

26 minutes ago, GBArmy said:

Paul, two additional comments: 1) you said "long story short..." way too late for that brother!!! (you're not related to my wife are you?, )and 2) you said that the VA in Virginia isn't very good. Just wondering, where ARE they very good??? That's why this site is so great; veterans ask for help and BINGO, great ideas and advise is just a click away.

i dont know if any of you have been to the one in Salem VA, but it has really been great for me. and a lot of the people i talk to that go here say its the best they have been to.