VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Needing a CPAP Machine

Rate this topic

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@paulstrgn That's great! My VA only gives six months of supplies at a time. I just set a reminder in my phone's calendar and send them a secure message twice a year. They just send me the supplies in the mail. If you have pets, be sure to ask for the micro filter (usually snaps on top of the regular air filter). They always seem to forget to send me it even though I ask for it up front.

The front desk staff may need to be reminded they have a walk-in clinic (for the dude who came in and needed to get his broken machine replaced). Could be a case of laziness.

I will need to go into my VA hospital once a year to get the new supplies, they don't mail anything. 

The front desk went and asked someone about this guy needing a machine and was told they could not help him. I really do think it depends on who you talk with to get your machine. If I had not contacted the director’s office at the VA hospital, I would still be waiting on getting scheduled to get a machine. I believe the director’s office is being told by the cpap clinic that there is no backlog when in reality there is. I am assuming someone just does not want their section to look like it is being mismanaged. I come from the school of thought that you let your director know if you are understaffed and that is why there is a backlog. If the director’s office does not want to hear about that at least you have told them what the problem is.

Staffing should never be an issue at the VA hospitals.

Unfortunately it is.  I had a good doctor that was retired and worked at the VA in his retirement.  It seems that they have a huge turnover, I have not had the same doctor for more than two years in Tennessee.  The same for nurses.  Some people who work at the VA appear to want another job elsewhere.  We does what we can with what we have. 

On 12/29/2019 at 11:44 AM, vetquest said:

Some people who work at the VA appear to want another job elsewhere.

I think this is because of the working conditions at the VA. I know my VAMC is rated towards the bottom of the rating scale (this was told to me by a supervisor at the VA RO). 

I am going there in February for dental work since it is now free for me, I just pray they have good dentistist there.