VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea

Rate this question

Armyman2069

Question

I have been retire for 7 years now and I just got diagnose with sleep apnea a few days ago. My doctor says it could be due to my PTSD with insomnia. I guess the question is should I file this under a secondary condition for PTSD or as a new claim for sleep apnea? I was told that the VA has changed sleep apnea to max 30% now from the 50% in the past (is this true)?  

3 answers to this question

You should file for the SA, it may be hard to SC it unless you have SMR showing where you went in complaining about snoring or waking up gasping for breathe. I had to have a strong IMO with several buddy letters to get my SA SC, it took the BVA to approve it though.

I have not heard that the rating for SA has changed. I got the below from http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/therespiratorysystem.html#sleep

Sleep apnea can cause a significant impairment of the heart and respiratory system by limiting the amount of air that is taken in during the hours of sleep.

If the condition continues over a long period of time and causes respiratory failure with right heart ventricle failure or with too much carbon dioxide in the blood stream, or if it requires a tracheotomy, it is rated 100%.

If it requires the use of breathing machines like a continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) machine during sleep, it is rated 50%.

If it causes serious sleepiness during the daytime or not feeling rested after sleeping, it is rated 30%.

If it is diagnosed by a sleep test, but it doesn’t cause any significant symptoms, it is rated 0%.

Good luck

I am waiting on filing but I am scheduler right now so I gain nothing from filing.  As Shrek stated file an intent to file right now and that gives you one year to file your claim and not lose your filing date.