• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Advertise Here contact us

Ptsd Medical Evaluation

Question

I HAVE A HEARING COMING UP SOON ON MY PTSD APPEAL. I WANT TO GO TO A PSYCHRIST FOR A MEDICAL OPONION. HOW OR WHAT DO I TELL THE DOCTOR THAT WILL HELP ME AND CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ANY OTHER INFORMATION THAT I SHOULD KNOW?

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

When you say hearing what do you mean? A c & p?

The first time I went to my doctor I took him my stressor letter and showed up early, gave it to the receptionist and ask her to have him please read it before we talked.

Cavman

• HadIt.com Elder

Great advise here from Army 1968-

also make sure the doctor gives their complete medical rationale-this could be their background and anything else that validates their opinion-

such as experience with treating PTSD veterans, etc.They should also make sure they have and use the SMRs-especially if the stressor is documented within the SMRs or any other military records.

And also they should make a strong nexus statement -

such as :In my opinion the veteran's inservice stressor)s) of ______ more than likely has caused the current diagnosis of PTSD.

Still- as 1968 said- that stressor is everything to a claim for PTSD- and must be proven to the VA,regardless of any nexus statement the doctor makes in support of it.

(unless the DD 214 contains combat awards such as PH, etc)

This goes for service connecting any type of depression or anxiety disorder too-

the stressor or the cause, etiology, event, accident-( meaning whatever the nexus is) etc- must be proven by evidence.

Edited by Berta
  • HadIt.com Elder

Emmak -I just read your other post-

you already get 50% for the PTSD so this is for the statement to connect your heart disease as secondary to the PTSD?

If so-I replied at other post-

There is a lot of IMO discussion at hadit as to the proper criteria that an independent medcial opinion should contain.

On behalf of LeRoy, I can tell you that when he filed for PTSD I didn't know anything about the process and the claims officer didn't either. She is no longer there. When we recieved the letter to send in any support of claim, I wrote a letter for LeRoy and he told me what to put on his statement which just stated how he had been awarded the bronze star and just by chance the name of LeRoys commanding officer who was killed placing LeRoy in command to get out of the mess they were in. I just can't describe things like he can but I think you get the picture. I really had a hard time getting information from LeRoy and to make matters worse while I was asking him questions for the letter we sent in he turned pale and said " I have to go set down" so naturally I got scared and backed off on the questioning. I thoought he was going to have a heart attack. He now has had three stints put in his heart area. We also filed on that but have heard nothing on that yet. Anyways he was awarded 50% sc and we appealed it. This time I want to get it right and I truely feel he is entitled to 100%

You are so right about the stressor letter in writing. Before my c & p I sat down alone one day and put down a 4 page stressor letter. My wife read it and was shocked by the things that happened to me. I mailed it in with my claim and when I showed up for my c & p the doctor had the letter in his hand and said I am not going to ask you anything about your combat history because I don`t want to put you thru that today. He said he had read the letter and that was sufficent. I was shocked and had sat up all night getting up the courage to talk about it and making myself remember many things to discuss with him. So yes write the letter and mail it in, of course after making a copy.

Cavman

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Similar Content

• By JonathanAD
      I filed a claim for Sleep Apnea secondary to my PTSD, which is service connected.  I have been diagnosed from the VA as having sleep apnea, and given a CPAP to wear at night.  I used Carpenter Chartered Law Firm to do the claim, but got this denial letter (attached is an excerpt).  In it, it says "In the absence of other major risk factors such as obesity it would be reasonable to attribute OSA to PTSD as this is considered a risk factor for OSA from uptodate.com".
      My thought is that if both obesity and PTSD are considered risk factors, shouldn't it be a 50% chance that it could be either obesity or PTSD, and go to the veteran's favor?  And doesn't that mean that attributing OSA to obesity is just as speculative as attributing it to my PTSD?
      I had Carpenter Chartered start an appeal, so I am hopeful to get it approved.  

• By Phil73
      I'm hoping someone could help me with this question. I have two different PTSD events that occurred during my service. One was combat related and the other was non-combat. Do I need to file two different claims or should I just file one and submit my evidence with nexus?
      Thanks
    • By avet
      I have ptsd from a bad car accident I had while in service, can it be service connected?
    • By chibears3531
      I was checking va.gov after receiving the mostly favorable results of an HLR for an earlier effective date claim for migraines where VA called CUE on themselves.
      I say mostly favorable because the effective date claim went back to 2006. The CUE was instead awarded exactly one year back from the date of the intent to file in  March 2019 back to March 2018.
      That's when I noticed a new claim for increase on va.gov for TBI that I did not submit.
      That's where it says under evidence gathering "Request 1- 930 rating not addressed see claim notes"
      I spoke to a VA rep who says that it's an internal review and was about pyramiding TBI and PTSD. I've been mislead by the phone reps before though...
      Can anyone make sense of this?
      Edit- in the HLR rating decision code sheet it says "REVIEWER NOTE: pyramiding under DC 8045 is outside the scope of the current HLR for earlier effective date for migraine." Could be a clue...
    • By Joey Ross
      I was told this morning that they where waiting on stressor verification. I was in northern Iraq, as part of Operation Provide Comfort, with hazard duty pay. this was almost 30 years ago. Riot control, mine fields, etc.. We didn't have cell phones or video and not everything was reported everyday, like it is today. C&P was in my favor. guess they are trying to deep six me
  • Ads

• Our picks

• Finally heard back that I received my 100% Overall rating and a 100% PTSD rating Following my long appeal process!

My question is this, given the fact that my appeal was on the advanced docket and is an “Expedited” appeal, what happens now and how long(ish) is the process from here on out with retro and so forth? I’ve read a million things but nothing with an expedited appeal status.

Anyone deal with this situation before? My jump is from 50 to 100 over the course of 2 years if that helps some. I only am asking because as happy as I am, I would be much happier to pay some of these bills off!
      • 13 replies
    • I told reviewer that I had a bad C&P, and that all I wanted was a fair shake, and she even said, that was what she was all ready viewed for herself. The first C&P don't even  reflect my Treatment in the VA PTSD clinic. In my new C&P I was only asked about symptoms, seeing shit, rituals, nightmares, paying bills and about childhood, but didn't ask about details of it. Just about twenty question, and  nothing about stressor,
    • This is the latest Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide dated 20180719. The only other one I've seen is dated 2002, including the one on this website and the VA website. I got this from my claims agent, who got it from the VA.

VA Compensation & Pension (C&P) Clinicians Guide 2 Final Corrected 20180719.pdf
        • Thanks
      • 7 replies
    • I don’t say thank you enough to all of you...
      You, yes you, are the reason HadIt.com has remained a resource-rich resource. Thousands come each month to read, ask questions, or to feel a sense of community.

Last month June 2020, we over 50k visitors they viewed over 160k pages. Veterans and their advocates, spouses, children, and friends of veterans come looking for answers. Because we have posts dating back 15 years and articles on the home page, they usually can find an answer or at least get pointed in the right direction.

You all made that possible. Thank you.
      • 8 replies
    • Help HadIt.com stay online buy a subscription
      If you can afford it and want to help hadit.com consider buying a subscription this gives you as free viewing of the site and allows me to budget in subscription payments.

You can try it for 1 month for $5 or get a monthly subscription or a yearly subscription.

Subscribe here https://community.hadit.com/subscriptions/
      • 6 replies
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines