VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Medical Evaluation

Rate this question

emmak

Question

I HAVE A HEARING COMING UP SOON ON MY PTSD APPEAL. I WANT TO GO TO A PSYCHRIST FOR A MEDICAL OPONION. HOW OR WHAT DO I TELL THE DOCTOR THAT WILL HELP ME AND CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ANY OTHER INFORMATION THAT I SHOULD KNOW?

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

When you say hearing what do you mean? A c & p?

The first time I went to my doctor I took him my stressor letter and showed up early, gave it to the receptionist and ask her to have him please read it before we talked.

Cavman

Great advise here from Army 1968-

also make sure the doctor gives their complete medical rationale-this could be their background and anything else that validates their opinion-

such as experience with treating PTSD veterans, etc.They should also make sure they have and use the SMRs-especially if the stressor is documented within the SMRs or any other military records.

And also they should make a strong nexus statement -

such as :In my opinion the veteran's inservice stressor)s) of ______ more than likely has caused the current diagnosis of PTSD.

Still- as 1968 said- that stressor is everything to a claim for PTSD- and must be proven to the VA,regardless of any nexus statement the doctor makes in support of it.

(unless the DD 214 contains combat awards such as PH, etc)

This goes for service connecting any type of depression or anxiety disorder too-

the stressor or the cause, etiology, event, accident-( meaning whatever the nexus is) etc- must be proven by evidence.

Edited by Berta

Emmak -I just read your other post-

you already get 50% for the PTSD so this is for the statement to connect your heart disease as secondary to the PTSD?

If so-I replied at other post-

There is a lot of IMO discussion at hadit as to the proper criteria that an independent medcial opinion should contain.

On behalf of LeRoy, I can tell you that when he filed for PTSD I didn't know anything about the process and the claims officer didn't either. She is no longer there. When we recieved the letter to send in any support of claim, I wrote a letter for LeRoy and he told me what to put on his statement which just stated how he had been awarded the bronze star and just by chance the name of LeRoys commanding officer who was killed placing LeRoy in command to get out of the mess they were in. I just can't describe things like he can but I think you get the picture. I really had a hard time getting information from LeRoy and to make matters worse while I was asking him questions for the letter we sent in he turned pale and said " I have to go set down" so naturally I got scared and backed off on the questioning. I thoought he was going to have a heart attack. He now has had three stints put in his heart area. We also filed on that but have heard nothing on that yet. Anyways he was awarded 50% sc and we appealed it. This time I want to get it right and I truely feel he is entitled to 100%

You are so right about the stressor letter in writing. Before my c & p I sat down alone one day and put down a 4 page stressor letter. My wife read it and was shocked by the things that happened to me. I mailed it in with my claim and when I showed up for my c & p the doctor had the letter in his hand and said I am not going to ask you anything about your combat history because I don`t want to put you thru that today. He said he had read the letter and that was sufficent. I was shocked and had sat up all night getting up the courage to talk about it and making myself remember many things to discuss with him. So yes write the letter and mail it in, of course after making a copy.

Cavman

• HadIt.com Elder

Please read the comments made by all very carefully. Do not cut and paste someone else's input unless it fits you. The VA C&P will look at the evidence that you are offering and ask questions so make sure that what you write is you.

It is very dangerous and not a good idea to lie or make up answers or use someone else's answers to help your claim. A good shrink can spot someone who is not being honest almost in a heart beat.

Most people who have PTSD have a hard time being candid with someone that did not serve or is new to them. They either withdraw or brighten up considerable.

Answer the questions as asked. Go slow and don't do a lot of elaborating. If you have studied about PTSD and know it better than an MD its probably not a good idea to use medical terminology or big words. If you get SSD bring a copy of the award letter.

Several here have been stung by dressing up for the interview If I was going to a C&P and I am on Feb 20th, I will not shave for a couple of days and I will wear the clothes that I slept in the night before. Its not a scam that is the way I am some of the time. When asked a question I will answer truthfully but I will answer how I usually feel at home not that I am happy for a chance to finally get my claim farther down the road.

I rarely leave my house but I go to almost all my Doctor appointments. Sometimes we put off shopping for days and even weeks. Sometimes I go every day. I worry about stuff constantly so if I am asked I will tell my circumstances and not someone else's.

I don't think about suicide that often but I do think about killing people who bug me at the VA. If they ask about that I like to watch how the person asking the question takes it. I am pretty much a grouchy bear who loves his family and adores his grand daughters.

I don't think I know of any cases where someone who suffers from PTSD was cured but I know a lot of people who are better because of meds and therapy.

Once the wires get crossed up not much of a chance of working but I hope that any who want to are given the opportunity.

Sorry for the rant but in the end you need to be yourself but know something about your illness.