VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Medical Evaluation

Rate this question

emmak

Question

I HAVE A HEARING COMING UP SOON ON MY PTSD APPEAL. I WANT TO GO TO A PSYCHRIST FOR A MEDICAL OPONION. HOW OR WHAT DO I TELL THE DOCTOR THAT WILL HELP ME AND CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ANY OTHER INFORMATION THAT I SHOULD KNOW?

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

:o FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH,THANKS TO ALL AND ESPECIALLY1968 ARMY VV AND PETE FOR THE INFORMATION. BERTA, I WASN'T ABLE TO OPEN ATTACHMENTS BUT WHEN MY COMPUTER IS FIXED I HOPE TO GO BACK AND OPEN THEM. I NOW CAN AT LEAST SIT DOWN AND HELP LEROY PUT HIS OWN INFORMATION TOGETHER FOR HIS APPEAL. HE DOES NOT HAVE TO LIE ABOUT ANYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!! NINE YEARS ARMY, ONE YEAR VIETNAM (COMBAT, DEMOLITION,MINE WAREFARE AND CORP OF ENGINEERS. IN GERMANY DURING THE BERLIN CRISIS, AND ON STANDBY DURING THE CUBEN CRISIS. SEVERAL MEDALS TO INCLUDE THE BRONZE STAR.HE DIDN'T GET THEM FOR NOTHING!!! HE WAS LUCKY, HE CAME HOME MESSED UP BUT ALIVE.

• HadIt.com Elder

emmak:

Thanks for helping your spouse with his claim. The most unfair thing is that the VA expects Veterans who have a problem to jump through their hoops. In my mind they should be helping the Vet get all that is due not making it impossible.

Guest rickb54

Pete 53 said, “Please read the comments made by all very carefully. Do not cut and paste someone else's input unless it fits you. The VA C&P will look at the evidence that you are offering and ask questions so make sure that what you write is you.

It is very dangerous and not a good idea to lie or make up answers or use someone else's answers to help your claim. A good shrink can spot someone who is not being honest almost in a heart beat.”

Carlie, said, “The "game plan" of this entire post is getting a bit too well laid out for me to be comfortable with.

I agree with the statements above. One of the things I like about hadit is that we can share information, and offer advice that is normally sound. If someone happens to make a mistake another person will come around with the right information.

It is one thing to advise a veteran to present himself on the day of the exam as if this were his worse day, or not to jump on the exam table, or not to say, I feel fine. This is because the examiner will write down everything you say or do. Some times when a veteran says I feel fine, he really means I feel fine.. but.. and never gets the but out. It is important for the examiner to understand our worst day and if we present ourselves at an exam on our best day we do our self an injustice. I also realize that some veterans claims are denied or do not grant the award the veteran thinks he deserves. This is why there is an appeals process, and my experience is that this process usually works well.

At the same time, it is not necessary to write a book on how to get the perfect claim approved, or to lay out detailed instructions for a veteran to follow. The only thing that all approved claims have in common is valid medical records and a perhaps a valid IMO. No two veterans are alike and no two claims are alike. Examiners see right through those that present them in any way that is not their normal self.

Case in Point: A while ago while going to a C&P exam in Winston-Salem, my wife and I stopped to get a cup of coffee. When I was told the price I found I was two cents short (and didn't want to break a $20 bill). I said to the clerk, I'll be right back, (I was going to get the two cents out of my car ashtray). But before I could get out the door, a large, tall, well dressed man said here and handed me to cents. I thanked him and paid for the coffee. I left feeling what a nice guy.

When I completed my exam and left the doctors office, I saw this same large, tall, well dressed man, but he did not look the same. He was sitting in a wheelchair, wearing dirty jeans and a torn shirt. His hair was mussed as if he had never combed it. I don't know what his claim was about. I don't know if it was approved or not. I suspect someone must have advised him to get in that wheelchair and look like a bum. It is likely that the C&P examiner saw through the act, if not this veteran will surly get caught down the road. When ever I think of this veteran I don't think about the nice guy that gave me the two pennies, I think what a phony that guy was. The point people are watching you if you don't think so, just look around.

Finally, remember you are responsible for your claim, how you present it will be a determining factor in the approval or denial. How you present yourself at an exam is just as equally important. For what it is worth, take all the information and advice you can get but be true to yourself.

Edited by rickb54

If you don't make it a "matter of record", then it doesn't exist. And, you will not get a favorable rating. Being able to express the truth and how it has impacted you is extremely important. The C&P examiner is developing a list of criteria and assigning points as he interviews you. By addressing all aspects of your problem in writing makes it a matter of record and the C&P evaluator must take it into account.

Some people, like me, have a hard time talking about it. I clam-up.

What I said, below, is a strategy to insure it becomes a matter of record......... before I clam-up. More pathetic than clamming-up, is liing to avoid having to discuss it further. That is a real problem in a C&P.... and can KILL a claim. I must watch that because I know how I am.

I appreciate the info a great deal; I have trouble expressing myself on this site much less in front of a VA doctor...I have great difficulty putting my thoughts on paper and in order, so a "guidline" is a great help, and I never thought of it as a "cut & paste" documnet, but a guide to help people like me who have trouble expressing themselves, an dthinking in logical order is also a big problem, and if you do that at a VA C&P ypou have just lost your claim for sure...anyone who would try to "fake" PTSD is crazy anyway...most of us could be making far more money working, and have the status our society praises for working, so those who say I'm just gettinga "fat government check" I say let's trade...any day you can have all my disabilities, and I'll take you health.

The VA has a stratagy, why can't the veteran who is working their way through the SC claims process have one too!?

I appreciate the links too, it helped me to put what is happening to me on paper so it can be evaluated by the VA, and not just my simple statement that so and so happens, I really don't want to talk about it or remember the things that cause the PTSD, but it has to be in a logical order, so the guide has helped me at least...thanks for the time and trouble to post it!

Boondoc

• HadIt.com Elder

When you go for your C&P exam the doctor will ask you a bunch of questions. Every question is designed to determine something about the existence or severity of your disability. The doc is going to most likely note your demeanor and appearance. I think one of the best things is to learn about your disability. The best defense is a good offense which means getting lots of medical evidence to back up your claim. This way you get the benefit of the doubt even if the C&P exam low balls you. It is a learning process. The VA sends you a SOC which includes the clues to getting a higher rating. I don't know many who just walk into the VA and get 100% the first time around the block. You don't need to lie or mislead but you need to learn.