VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Need some clarification on my IU Award

Rate this question

IGottaKnow

Question

I was recently granted IU back in September 2019.  I was trying to see if I was also P&T because of my award letter referenced CHAMPVA & Chapter 35 -- but it did not say that I was granted it (see info enclosed below). My award letter also did not mention a future C&P exam either. On eBenefits there is no Commissary Letter or Chapter 35 Letter under Letter Generator. I recently went to a local military base to get my Tan ID card in which the Expiration Date shows "INDEF" and the STATUS/Grade box reflects "DAVPRM". 

I would like to get y'alls thoughts about this. Thanks!

Your Benefit Information:

·         Entitlement to individual is granted effective April 22, 2019.

·         Evaluation of posttraumatic stress disorder, which is currently 70 percent disabling, is continued.

See Rating Decision to find out why we made this decision. 

You and your dependents may be eligible for benefits under CHAMPVA. CHAMPVA is a health benefits program in which the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) shares the cost of certain healthcare and supplies with eligible beneficiaries. To be eligible for the CHAMPVA program a dependent must be the spouse or child of a Veteran who is permanently and totally disabled from a service-connected disability. You should call 1-800-733-8387 if additional information is needed, or visit http://www.va.gov/hac/forbeneficiaries/champva/champva.asp.

Your dependents may be eligible for Dependents’ Educational Assistance (Chapter 35). For more information on this program, please visit the following web site: https://www.vets.gov/education/gi-bill/survivors-dependent-assistance/ or call 1-888-GIBILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

• HadIt.com Elder

I would say your P&T

THEY SHOULD HAVE SENT YOU THE APPLICATION FORMS FOR CHAMPVA  BUT NORMALLY THAT IS  a P&T STATUS

CALL THE 1-800 AND ASK WHAT YOUR CLAIM STATUS IS .

Congratulations!!!  Make sure you get all the benefits you deserve.  Examples are waiver of copayments and deductables (they return that money to you if you have already paid it), property tax exemption in many states, some states have free hunting and fishing license, etc. etc.  Oh, and dont forget 10,000 of free life insurance.  (No payments required, but it will have a cash value of 10,000 dollars after about 20 years.  Prior to those 20 years, if you die, your family should get 10,000 in cash).  

Ok.  "If" the VARO decision said something close to "Entitlement to eligibility for Chapter 35 DEA is established", then that is VA speak for P and T.  You need to do nothing.  

If you need a letter that says you are P and T, go to ebenefits "letters" and print one out.  

Yes, its irritating that VA decisions often "do not say" P and T, even when they are.  They want to confuse us still more and say stuff instead like:

"No future exams are scheduled".  OR

Entltlement to chapter 35 is established.  

Again the above 2 lines are VA speak for P and T.  

Edited by broncovet

Congratulations...also depending on your state you may also be entitled to a break on personal property tax. I live in Virginia and the personal property tax  for my car went from 4% to 1%. Every little bit helps.

If you have no luck with the above good advice ideas then if you live close to a VA regional office you can go there and talk to their VSRs about getting the P&T award letters that should have appeared on your Ebenefits page.

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with Dustoff 11

However my R.O. Requires you make an Appointment before coming.

or Call your R.O.