VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anybody know if this is true or not?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I hear a lot of talk around the VA that veterans diagnosed with PTSD will have to turn in their guns to their local VA.  A letter/order is supposed to go out in January 2020 to all veterans diagnosed with PTSD letting us know that we have to turn in all of our guns to the local VA department.  Anybody know if this is true or not?

I was diagnose with Chronic PTSD few years back & My Dr and L.C.S.W. Ask me to give my guns to my son,  I did all but one.  but was never ordered to.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I have heard nothing about this but nothing surprises me about stupid ideas from politicians and lifer government bureaucrats.  This would be very typical and hypocritical of them as the SOBs know that the vast majority of all shootings and violence in USA is committed by non veterans and especially not by PTSD veterans.

In spite of all the patriotic talk directed toward us veterans there are many politicians who hate our guts because of THEIR Vietnam War 40 years ago.

Be damn careful who you vote for in November.

I have not heard anything about it either.  However, I do know there is "much (political pressure)" because of several shootings done by PTSD combat Vets.  

This said, "taking the guns away from ALL PTSD Vets" would be like using an Atomic Bomb to rid the city of drug dealers.  Yes, it would work, but at what cost?  

Doctors sometimes state "whether or not (in their opinion) a Veteran is a threat to himself or others".  Now, if someone was a real threat to others, then maybe they should not be allowed to get a weapon like a gun.  (Of course, there are alternate weapons, which are probably worse.  An automobile can be a weapon, and so can an airplane of any size.)

Its often a fine line and judgement call as to which rights are more important:  The rights of an individual to enjoy freedom of speech as well as the right to bear arms, OR the right of the community to be safe from crazies with guns.  

I beleive in our constituion, including the right to bear arms.  But I also understand that some people simply can not have access to guns, such as criminals convicted of a violent offense with a weapon.  When a person is convicted of a violent crime, they basically lose their rights, such as a right to own and carry a weapon, and even things like getting VA benefits.  Incarcerated Vets give up most of their VA benefits, at least after they have been incarcerated 60 days:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.665

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with Dustoff 11

I think  FOR All US COMBAT PTSD Veterans this is not aimed at us  rather they have our well being mind not to shoot others but shoot our self.

I don't think its mostly aimed at the COMBAT PTSD Veterans  its not them they do all the social killings...Actually the only PTSD veterans that I know of that committed social killings were only two or three, the Navy Seal Chris kyle Killer was combat PTSD Veteran and the Las Vegas shooter was a combat Veteran with PTSD.&The Ft Hood Killings.. Most all the other social shooting were at radom and from adolescent's and just plain idiots or wanted the public attention

If they do pass this bill its just another feather in the VA Cap or like was mention the politicians .

• HadIt.com Elder

Maybe we will know more in Jan 2020?