VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Anybody know if this is true or not?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I hear a lot of talk around the VA that veterans diagnosed with PTSD will have to turn in their guns to their local VA.  A letter/order is supposed to go out in January 2020 to all veterans diagnosed with PTSD letting us know that we have to turn in all of our guns to the local VA department.  Anybody know if this is true or not?

I was diagnose with Chronic PTSD few years back & My Dr and L.C.S.W. Ask me to give my guns to my son,  I did all but one.  but was never ordered to.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I guess for me it all depends on the individual. If someone is rated at 100% for PTSD then it might be best that they don't own a weapon. I can also see depending on the symptoms someone rated at 70% PTSD may or may not be suited to own a weapon. Granted you can kill with a knife or a bat or even a motor vehicle to name a few. If someone wants to kill, they will find a way

But to me it is just individuals with PTSD, anyone with a severe mental disorder probably should not own a weapon. 

But the bottom-line is would be hard to enforce since hey would not know if you own a weapon or not. The only way and its not perfect they would have to search your home. This would never happen since they would never have the staffing to perform these searches.

I don’t think there is anything to worry about. JMO

There was a question of taking guns away from PTSD vets and a measure was suggested, like making PTSD veterans not able to have guns.  This idea never went anywhere as far as I know, I have not heard anything about it in a year.  They would play heck getting many veterans guns.  As a 70% PTSD veteran I am not going to shoot people, I am a danger to myself sometimes but I would never commit suicide by gun as it leaves a huge mess, I have seen this.  I have never had a doctor suggest that I get rid of my guns, maybe because my doctors own guns.

Unless you are deemed incompetent you shouldn't have your right to bear arms taken away, period.  I am rated at 70% for MH and honestly the last way I would choose to go out is with a gun and I own enough.  I have never once in my life wanted to cause harm to others, so taking away my guns only takes away one of my hobbies I love.  Makes sense, right?  only to idiots who don't understand that we all don't fit in the same box.

• HadIt.com Elder

Seminoles 

you hit the nail right on the head here

The Second Amendment!!!

Be hard for them to get over that!!!   be interesting to see what the letter states??