VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Not listing all of your symptoms

Rate this question

retiredat44

Question

https://www.disabilityadvisor.com/five-common-mistakes-in-va-disability-claims/

I did list my symptoms back in the 1990's, the BVA judge in the last few years asked me about those claims and why I worded them the way I did, and told him I Knew I was sick and the doctors were not quite sure... about the diagnosis of each,,, but I at least claimed the symptoms, of course the RO denied me and 10 years later I had firmer diagnosis on the same symptoms... so I did do exactly as they say to do.. but the only va office which took my claims seriously was at the BVA decades later... I thought I would post this here, the article and link and it might help others, to not overlook claiming health issues even if you don't know the exact diagnosis of your health issues. It may get denied, but at least it is in the records. IMHO

4 answers to this question

It makes sense to claim your symptoms, after all we are not doctors and are not required to know what the sypmtoms mean. 

@retiredat44Did the BVA award you anything with an effective date back tot the 1990s? Just curious.

Yes in many instances veterans have received direct service connection on symptoms alone without official medical diagnosis for their illnesses incurred in military service according to my old reliable 2006 bible that is the NVLSP 1875 plus pages Veterans Advocate Manual for Disability Claims and published by Lexisnexis. See pages 108 to 109 in section 3.4.3.3. National Veterans Legal Services Program is an excellent legal advocacy service.

Thanks to this then $250.00 set of two manuals including all VA laws and regulations I have won several claims and appeals over past 20 plus years filing everything myself including CUE claim and Appeal to the CAVC court.

Unfortunately for some vets there is another veterans benefits forum that puts out misleading BS that you "must have been diagnosed in service with your claimed disability" by a medical doctor in order to receive SC when in fact a sick call slip has sometimes served as proof of your in service illness or injury.  

Certainly an actual medical diagnosis makes everything easier but many if not most vets never did receive a full diagnosis for many reasons.

I had headaches following a heat injury and it was noted in my medical records.  Due to ignorance and poor leadership from the DAV I never filed for them.  When I did this entry in my medical records was enough to get me disability at 0% which was later increased to 50%.  List everything that you have including symptoms.  We are not doctors and we do not know what symptoms could be linked to a disability.

I don't have my ratings yet,, so I can't answer lots of questions...