VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Agent Orange time-bomb went off ...

Rate this question

WomanMarine

Question

First off I am a Vietnam ERA vet and never served in VN nor the blue waters of VN. My AO contact came from MCAS El Toro and it hit me like a time-bomb!

Currently I am 90% P&T which mostly stems to my R knee and an injury I received in the Corps. However I have had issues that are now surfacing that are not from my knee, but I believe because of my contact with TCE. 

I was the 'first' woman flight crew capt., although I had the duties, women did not have an 'official' MOS as such. Never-the-less I came into contact with cleaning solvents for jet parts. As well it is widely known that we sprayed the flight decks with AO to get rid of vegetation.  

Hypertension was diagnosed by the VA in 1998. In 2009 I started having heart issues, and had to have a stint. And again in 2012 another stint. In late 2017 I had a heart attack and early in 2018 I had a disc go out and render me helpless causing my drop foot.

The V.A., allowed me to see an outside cardiologist, who concurred I had the heart attack and scheduled me for a stress test, which I did not pass. Subsequently, in August, I was hospitalized and had a quad-by-pass. Just this month, the by-pass failed and I had to have 8 stints placed. This last week, because of no comms between VA and public hospital (choice), I went home without meds and had another heart attack, needing one of those stints replaced. 

I have an upcoming C&P for the issues attached. I had included my heart and hypertension, due to my AO contact, who btw I was informed by a V.A. x-ray tech to check my duty stations for AO contamination ... NOT MY PRIMARY! 😡 

Since 2018 I have to have the assistance of another person to get around. I was enrolled VR independent Living Program, who sent out an Industrial Psychologist to my home who, among other recommendations suggested I needed Aid and Attendance as well as someone to come in and help with household chores.

Since my heart is new, I have had to file a Supplemental claim to these additional claims. I opened it with 'new' evidence from my cardiologist which clearly states I have Ischemic heart disease.

Curious if folks that did not serve in VN get AO connected?

Any idea where I might fall on the SMC chart? That is so difficult to figure. I have loss of use of my left foot, as I have been told that a 'foot drop' diagnosis hold that place. I have degenerative disc disease and am just now seeing a Neurologist, my accident occurred 02/2018 and left me paralyzed for two weeks and the residual foot.

I am not sure how they would rate my heart, or if they would, as I did not serve in VN.

Thoughts?

issues.png

Edited by WomanMarine
clarity

The people I knew @ El Toro are no longer alive ... 🤔

I, still, have not received the infamous envelope.

I have VA appt tomorrow about my HISA/SAH, if my PCP does not cancel because of this FAKE VIRUS ... Lol.

Stay safe Hadit 😎

"The people I knew @ El Toro are no longer alive"

I am curious how you know that-

Because, is it possible you knew any of their family members, and also is it possible any of them died due to proving AO or TCE exposure? Maybe even at the RO level- if their  case is not found at the VA?

Broncovet is correct- the chemical exposure that could have caused your IHD must be narrowed down to what chemical it was, by virtue of your MOS, that might need to be detailed ,to the IMO/IME doctor and to the VA, and then a good IMO/IME doctor could use that specific chemical to establish a  rational medical nexus to your IHD.

I have been involved with the AO issue since 1991 and have had a long relationship with NVLSP ever since ( They won Nehmer AO court Order) and I consider myself an expert in AO for VA claims purposes.And I am a AO widow in addition to FTCA widow.

-My opinion (based in all those years and dealing with AO claims) is that:

The VA does not give a hoot in hell about ASTDR or the many base problems in other Superfund studies.

But a good IMO/IME doctor would possible consider there studies and potentially be able to write a strong IMO/IME with possible links from those studies.

However it all boils down to

1.proof of  what exact chemical (s) you were exposed to-no matter where and when-in service.

(it does not have to be AO  or TCE)

and a strong medical opinion from a real doctor, fully versed in cardio and/or Toxic chemicals or both that can state your proven inservice exposure to ________, is as likely as not, to have  caused your IHD with no other known etiology for it.

I recommend Dr Bash a lot here, because not only is he a fabulou doctor but he also worked for the VA and he knows exactly what they need. I also spent 4,000 bucks on 2 superb opinions from him.

I proved my husband had DMII and IHD from Vietnam =two of many disabilities the VA failed to diagnose and treat and that contributed to his death.

Even though I did all the medical and legal work myself for my FTCA and 1151 death claims, the VA was sure giving me crap over this claim  with ridiculous posthumous C & P exams from the endocrinologist, but I knew I would succeed, before I sent Dr. Bash the cash.I sent him those exams as well as my lay medical rebuttals.

That all took a lot of work to study Endocrinology, Cardiology and even Neurology -for a different claim I had.

My other dead husband ( 2 HDs, US Army)had a brain tumor- so I knew a lot about Neuro already.1151 stroke award 100% P& T.

For Christmas that year my daughter sent me a book so heavy I cannot even get it on my scanner-and the PO man almost slipped on ice when he tried to get it out of his car.Braunwald on Cardiology which led to "Harrison's Principles" which led to the VA putting IHD on the AO presumptive list.

At the time of that claim I was a tactical warfare student at AMU(all A's) and also was here at hadit every day,except for when I went to Lackland to see my daughter graduate  from BT USAF.

I still had a farm to contend with and the maintenance of my home, etc....I have a disability worth about 40 % or  more by now, per VA rating schedule , but I am a civilian

I KNOW it is difficult for disabled vets to do the legwork they need to succeed.That is why us advocates (all others are disabled vets ) are here.

We are giving you the best advice we can give.

Edited by Berta