VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Summery of Benefits after My Re-Eval (is this my award letter?)

Rate this question

swimdad84

Question

I just had my re-eval for a claim I had a few months ago, and now I got a summery of benefits letter in the mail from regional VA.  It shows my "effective date of the last change to my current award" which is "DEC 1 2019"  and its the same percentage ive always had.  I didn't get any fancy manila envelope this time like the initial C&P exam (This was a 5 year re-eval)  So is this the letter saying my percentage is staying the same or is this something everyone gets and I should wait for something else? Not sure what I should receive after an RFE exam.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

This is a very old letter (dated in 2013, about 7 years ago).  Its not a "decision letter" its, well what it says it is...a notice verifying your benefits to certain third parties.  

These are no longer done, now ebenefits contains these letters needed for verification of things like reduction or elimination of property taxes, (for state or county governments).

They gave me a similar letter in 2009, when I was awarded benefits at 100 percent.  

There is nothing to worry about, nothing for you to do, UNLESS you are seeking property tax abatement, or other benefits on the list described in the letter.  

If you post the letter in its entirety (except for your personal identifiers), we could tell you more.  

However, based "entirely" on what you posted, there was a change to your award effective Dec. 1, 2019, but you did not say what that change was.  Its possible that VA did not send you "all the pages" of your decision, so you only got part of a letter.  

This is my advice:

Go on ebenefits, click "letters".  Those letters should show a disability percentage, and your recent comp should be consisitent with that.  If you are satisifed with that percentage, then there is not a lot you need to do.  

However, if your disabilty percentage was decreased, or not as high as you think it should be, then spring into the following action(s).

1.  Contact your VSO and see if he has a "complete" copy of your rating decision as apparently yours is incomplete.  Then you may need to file a NOD if its in dispute.  

2.  If your VSO can not or will not help you, or he wont return phone calls (like most VSO's), then you need to try emailing IRIS for a copy of the decsion.  

It sounds like the most likely senario is that your current rating was continued.  

That is your decision letter. They don’t always send it in a big brown envelope- that’s a euphemism, and it probably depends on the RO. Mine have come in white, brown, folded in half ,thirds, flat, staples, not staples, etc. not sure why they insist on mailing everything unless requested, I’d much rather they just email me a copy and post in my e benefits and or my health vet. 

Its a Summery of Benefits Letter it doesnt say anything about a decision.  But the last effective date for the award was Dec 1 and i had my RFE Exam before that.  For RFE Exams should i expect a fancy envelope or does this "Summery of Benefits" the results?

This is what it looks like:  http://www.nd.gov/veterans/files/resource/Annual VA letter IU.pdf

I thought maybe this coincided with my RFE because i had it a few months before i received this letter and the effective date awarded was dec 1, or maybe this is just an annual letter?

What does date awarded exactly mean? Maybe thats when they kept my percentage? idk?

It says this Document replaces VA Form 20-5455

23 hours ago, brokensoldier244th said:

That is your decision letter. They don’t always send it in a big brown envelope- that’s a euphemism, and it probably depends on the RO. Mine have come in white, brown, folded in half ,thirds, flat, staples, not staples, etc. not sure why they insist on mailing everything unless requested, I’d much rather they just email me a copy and post in my e benefits and or my health vet. 

23 hours ago, shrekthetank1 said:

can you post the letter and cover any personal information?  

23 hours ago, broncovet said:

If you post the letter in its entirety (except for your personal identifiers), we could tell you more.  

However, based "entirely" on what you posted, there was a change to your award effective Dec. 1, 2019, but you did not say what that change was.  Its possible that VA did not send you "all the pages" of your decision, so you only got part of a letter.  

This is my advice:

Go on ebenefits, click "letters".  Those letters should show a disability percentage, and your recent comp should be consisitent with that.  If you are satisifed with that percentage, then there is not a lot you need to do.  

However, if your disabilty percentage was decreased, or not as high as you think it should be, then spring into the following action(s).

1.  Contact your VSO and see if he has a "complete" copy of your rating decision as apparently yours is incomplete.  Then you may need to file a NOD if its in dispute.  

2.  If your VSO can not or will not help you, or he wont return phone calls (like most VSO's), then you need to try emailing IRIS for a copy of the decsion.  

It sounds like the most likely senario is that your current rating was continued.  

Didnt tag you not sure if you saw my update