VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Swollen Prostate OTC Recommendations Meds?

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Anyone have any good   (OTC) (Over the counter) Meds that work for a swollen prostate BHP?

They are  100's of these pillls on the market, what pills worked best for you?

Any feedback Is Definitely Appreciated.

Thanks

Well, yes.  

I have, like many men, prostate issues.  My advice:

1.  Try to eat less red meat.  Most beef has growth hormones in it, which creates inflamation.   One study claimed that people who eat buffalo instead of beef rarely get prostate issues.  Buffalo does not have growth horemones.  Many kinds of beef does.  You can eat the organic, good quality grass fed beef in moderation.    (not cows fed GMO corn)  

2.  Instead, try to consume polyphenols.  ONE good source:  Pomegranete or pom juice.   Dr. Gundry has a good product "Vital Reds".  You mix it with juice and drink it every day.  Its rich in polyphenols.  

3.  Beta Sitosterol.  Some products have too little of it to do any real good.  "Source Naturals" has a "mega strength Beta Sitosterol"  .  Its available online or at local health food stores.  YOU also want to take Himilaya brand "Prostacare" also available online or at health food stores.  Larry King touts "prostagenix brand" but I have not found it as effective as what I have mentioned.  I think you need about 1000 to 2000 mg of Beta sitosterol.  Less than that has limited effectiveness.  I take 2 of the Source naturals mega strength and 2 of the Himalaya.  Both of these companies (especially Himalaya) are very welll respected.  

4.  Exercise.   Even walking is good.  

5.  Life style changes.  Eat better.  More fruits and vegetables, especially fruits with polyphenols.  (Cherry, blueberry, and rasberry are good).  Switch to a "high quality" olive oil.  Good quality olive oil is not a "blend" of many different countries, instead they are proud enough to put where its grown and the "estate" where its grown.  Good olive oil is high in polyphenols.   Drink plenty of water.   Fish is good.  

6.  My VA doc also presribes "flowmax" and it helps some, but not as much as items 1 through 5.  

Edited by broncovet

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've been away from the board for a while due to a hospitalization for my prostrate and continuing ER visits, and appointment... Dec 22 I could not urinate... every 15 minutes I was in the bathroom and could not go, finally I went to the ER and was admitted where they inserted a catheter.  I've been on the catheter ever since...  I have been having problems with my prostrate since Nov 2018... while I was put on flow-max and finasteride which are the basic drugs for this issue nothing seem to help, and eventually I could not pee.... Yesterday they scoped my penis looking into the bladder and the entire urinary track. The found an abnormal tissue apparently block the flow of my urine... I am awaiting a biopsy . While discussing the issue with my Four doctors,  I was informed there really is no good over the counter medication or pill that actually helps this issue. I was told good diet, good exercise goes a long way.... I have changed my diet drastically .. but it may be too late for me..... In the meantime I have been praying that I don't have a cancer. My medical health, with COPD and PE's is compromised greatly, while Its likely treatment for cancer is the next step, I am not so sure my body can take the strain, and in fact that seems to be the biggest concern coming from my doctors.  Oh another point.. if your overweight loose the weight,  this is a big problem for prostrate issues, and if you do have to cath yourself,  and can't see down there... its no fun...

Its not suprising that Medical doctors dont recommend herbal treatments.  Here is the problem:

Pharmecital companies "fund" medical schools.  So, guess what they teach?  You guessed it, avoid herbals and buy pills instead.  

Did you know, however, I think it was around 1980 when the "number of alternative medicine appointments" exceeded the number of MD doc appointments?  

Here is the problem.  A plant is not "patentable" in the USA.  So no one can keep you from selling, Aloe Vera plant to help with burns such as sunburn.  

Sometimes, there is actually overlap:  Pills sometimes have a similar active ingredient found in some herbs.  

If you read the literature on "flow max", you will see that it does NOT shrink the prostate!

Source:  https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-4154/flomax-oral/details

So, if it does not shrink the prostate, what good is it??  My doc prescribed it for me..and it didnt work for me either.    I have changed some things, like I posted above, and my prostate is much better.  But the docs prescriptions were useless, at least by itself.