VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sent notice of scheduled c&p for aide and attendance

Rate this question

khensonb52

Question

I am rated 100%. I am a recent lower ext amputee due to rated diabetes. Had my va claims helper fill out claim for smc k for loss of foot. He also applied for housing adaptation grants, and informed me of clothing allowances and auto grant. A few days ago i recieved overnight fedex, notifying me of cp exam for aide and attendance. I think it is for smc r1. Is the r1 pay rate in addition to my va disability rate?  Or is it one or the other?I also recieve the smcs pay in with my va disability check. This is all new to me. Thanks for replies

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

I get SMC-K and it is paid in addition to regular disability. I'm not certain is r1 is paid in addition too, but I'm certain others will be able to help answer.

• HadIt.com Elder
10 hours ago, khensonb52 said:

I am rated 100%. I am a recent lower ext amputee due to rated diabetes. Had my va claims helper fill out claim for smc k for loss of foot. He also applied for housing adaptation grants, and informed me of clothing allowances and auto grant. A few days ago i recieved overnight fedex, notifying me of cp exam for aide and attendance. I think it is for smc r1. Is the r1 pay rate in addition to my va disability rate?  Or is it one or the other?I also recieve the smcs pay in with my va disability check. This is all new to me. Thanks for replies

I think after your RFE (Routine Future Exam) or C&P Exam for increase in your latest amputee of your foot, your SMC S will most likely be raised to a higher Letter within the SMC Fram work so-of-speak  not knowing your disability history  I'would say they will infer the SMC  A&A...i Can't think of the SMC Letter A&A is off the tip of my hat ? but it is more $$$ than the SMC S.

If this helps???

• HadIt.com Elder

Vync

All SMC 's are paid in addition to a veterans original disability the climb up the SMC Latter means generally the Veteran is in worse shape disability wise.

SMC K is usually 0%service connected and paid in addition to what the Veterans is already receiving. 

Only a Direct Service Connected Vet can get SMC K FOR  % 

Say for instance , The Forrest Gump SMC K for being shot in his buttox that is Direct Service Connection....Lol

Look at the SMC rate tables:

This is the amount you get with the SMC rates.  Exception:  SMC K.  You get 110 per month for each SMC K (you can have more than 1).  The SMC K is added to your compensation.   

https://www.benefits.va.gov/compensation/resources_comp02.asp

So, for example if you get rated R1, then your comp is 7746, not 7746 plus another 100 percent comp.

There are several levels of Aid and Attendance.  The lowest one is SMC L.  This generally means you need help, but not skilled nursing help.  The higher levels of A and A mean you have to hire a nurse to take care of IV's or other medical needs which can be performed by a nurse.  

You can add up SMC's.   Alex explains adding up SMC's like this:

https://asknod.org/2013/02/27/special-monthly-compensation-what-is-it/

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with broncovet  depending on the level of the disability and the severity of the disability   the worse off a veteran is with his disabilities the higher up the SMC Latter he can pursue  meaning he gets more $$$

Usually the VA Will Infer the appropriate SMC Letter, but not always do they do thatGrrrrr    a Veteran must realized this and take action if they don't.they will just stay the %the VA Gave them.....I would bet there are dozens of veterans out there that deserve the higher SMC AWARDS but don't know it.  and the problem is the VA will not let them know.

Fellow Brother Veteran and hadit member and hadit radio show guest from time to time James Cripps  Will definitely let you know all about how he climb the latter with the SMC's and what it takes to get them.

Edited by Buck52

Seems to be a lot of confusion about SMC awards. I have been rated SMC L for loss of use both feet for three years. I received a second SMC L for Aid & Attendance a couple of months ago.

My rating did not increase. When I called the 800 number the person who answered was real nice. He said the VA rater checked the box for SMC S (instead of L) housebound therefore my rating did not increase.

He preceded to tell me he would send an email to someone to correct my rating but I am still waiting. He said to the best of his knowledge I should be rated either "O" or "R1". Guessing the wheels move slower during the holidays.

Any advice or thoughts? Does this sound correct?

Thank you in advance.