Jump to content
!! Advice given is in no way a substitute for consulting with a competent Veterans law firm, such as one on the NOVA advocate website !! ×
VA Disability Claims Community Forums - Hadit.com
  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.


  • question-001.jpeg

    Have Questions? Get Answers.

    Tips on posting on the forums.

    1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.
    2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.
      Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.
    Leading too:

    exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.
    • Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?
    • Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?
    This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • VA Watchdog

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

  • 0

C&P Exam next week



I have an exam scheduled next week for my knees.  I've had trouble locating my medical records and so has the VA so when I made the initial claim for my knees I figured it would be immediately dropped because the rep that called me said I needed to provide documentation and I told him I don't have a copy of my medical record and for some reason it cant be located by the VA either. Anyway to my surprise I got scheduled for a C&P next week.  My knee issues are constant pain (even when resting) and really bad pain when bending......especially in my left knee.  I will be honest and tell them all I can but are there any tips I can get to assist to ensure I don't miss anything that I should pass along?  Basically what should and shouldn't I say?  Again, I plan on being fully honest but I don't want to screw this up either.

Thank you!


Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Without medical records, ~~ perhaps you could retrieve a Buddy (lay) statement from someone who witnessed an injury during service making sure that they explain objectively what they heard/saw in regards to the details of an injury that occurred in service. Dates and other details (ex: we served in the same unit, lived in same barracks etc.)

In conjunction with this would be to provide you own written testimony, aka, statement in support of claim (VA Form 4138) giving as much detail as you can of the circumstance(s).

In either statement(s) do NOT diagnose yourself, or your buddy - let the doctors/medical exams do that.

Without having a copy of your medical records, and if the va continues to be "unable" to retrieve them, I'm afraid this may be the only route you have of recourse.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • HadIt.com Elder

 Welcome to Hadit Ranmic,


  • 1.A current, diagnosed disability;
  • 2.An in-service event, injury, or illness; and.
  • 3.A medical nexus between the current disability and the in-service event, injury, or illness.
  • These things you definitely need  to send in with your claim/claims.

your in service medical records help  & you really need to try to get them, if you can't  , you can use buddy letters as avgv001 mention above  .

Do not miss this C&P,  the examiner may can diagnose you and with your laystatement  it may help but don't count on it,   without medical records  its hard to get service connected.  very hard.

What you may want to do when you write out your lay statment to let them know why your having problems with your knees , The name of your unit and location and the date , name your commanding officer or NCO, of your unit   that this event happen  what happen that hurt your knees,  they will check on this information you give them and when they find the unit you were with they may find your medical records also...and remember VA as the duty to assist you in getting your records.

Have you tried to get your records from NRPC in St Louis Mo?  or file a FOIA FORM TO THE National  Records Personnel Center in St louis   to retrieve your records?

you can file online direct to them ask for all your military records to include your medical records in service records  any notes from your unit they may have DD 214 AND SR180. ASK THEM TO SEND YOU EVERY RECORDS THEY HAVE ON YOU.

National Personnel Records Center

1 Archives Dr, St. Louis, MO 63138, USA


OR LAST THING call the 1-800# ask them about the C&P   Since you have filed  you need to go through this rather or not your denied  it starts your EED  but if your denied  you have a year to file an Appeal  in this time you can or hopefully have your medical records to prove your claim   Also when you do request your Medical Records   Request your C-File Also.  but mostly right now you need your in service medical records.

Edited by Buck52 (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Again, thank you all for your help and suggestions.  I went to my exam last week as scheduled and told the examiner my issues and where the pain is located.  She performed her exam and noted that she could tell I had knee damage and also did a ROM test on me.  Not sure how I performed on that as I haven't seen the results yet.  She did order an XRay and from that I did see the paper and to me it didn't read favorably.  It stated "mild degenerative disease present."  Assuming mild is not the best but I guess it's not the worst either.

I appreciate everyone suggestions and information.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use