VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C & P Results

Rate this question

SpaceAce54

Question

I just viewed my C&P results for CAD/IHD secondary to DMII on blue button after waiting the now required 30 days, I think they were positive for the most part.

The examiner stated it was more likely than not 50% or more related to DMII.

Items of issue are in ref. to MET rating of 5-7 and in ref. to scar from surgery I told the examiner it was still painful but he marked on the DBQ no pain.

Do I just wait for the rating and file an NOD or is there something I should do ahead of receiving a decision, I have an appointment with my cardiologist this month an plan on asking him what my MET is.

Any and all info is appreciated.

• Lead Moderator

You have to wait for the decision to reach you!  You will need to file an appeal and move forward at that time.  You can get a doctors opinion to help you write a statement for you.  

As for the painful scaring you could go to you VA hospital and ask to talk to the Chief in-charge of the C&P office.  Take a copy of your C&P show it to them and explain how you do have painful scaring.  Ask for a new C&P.  Better hurry before they close with a poor decision. 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@SpaceAce54 You might want to check the rating criteria to see what it says. I also have CAD/IHD and assume they would use DC 7005 to rate it. They could rate it using a different DC. There is a lot of different diagnoses and criteria for the heart ratings, so it would be educational to check it out. Once your rating decision arrives, check it against your C&P, medical records, and the rating criteria to ensure they granted you an accurate percentage.

Based on the table below, it looks like you might get a 30% rating. Keep in mind that the higher percentages have different criteria. For example, if your ejection fraction happened to be between 30 and 50%, you could qualify for 60%. That may be indicated on your C&P results.

§4.104   Schedule of ratings—cardiovascular system.

7005   Arteriosclerotic heart disease (Coronary artery disease):  
With documented coronary artery disease resulting in:  
Chronic congestive heart failure, or; workload of 3 METs or less results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope, or; left ventricular dysfunction with an ejection fraction of less than 30 percent 100
More than one episode of acute congestive heart failure in the past year, or; workload of greater than 3 METs but not greater than 5 METs results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope, or; left ventricular dysfunction with an ejection fraction of 30 to 50 percent 60
Workload of greater than 5 METs but not greater than 7 METs results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope, or; evidence of cardiac hypertrophy or dilatation on electrocardiogram, echocardiogram, or X-ray 30
Workload of greater than 7 METs but not greater than 10 METs results in dyspnea, fatigue, angina, dizziness, or syncope, or; continuous medication required 10
Note: If nonservice-connected arteriosclerotic heart disease is superimposed on service-connected valvular or other non-arteriosclerotic heart disease, request a medical opinion as to which condition is causing the current signs and symptoms.

Hello VYNC

My EF rating on from the C&P examiner was 50%, my Cardiologist report said 45-50% and MET 5-7 which puts me in the middle.

I wonder which way they will go?

@SpaceAce54 If you are granted SC for CAD, that would place the rating at 60% based on the EF rating. Depending on your prognosis and circumstances, the VA may or may not expect the condition to improve and bring you back later for re-eval.

It was attached successfully.

The medical opinion looks good (in my non-professional opinion). They gave the 50% or greater jargon and indicated DMII is a well-known risk factor for CAD with the rationale.

The LVEF is 50% as you indicated.