Jump to content
Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×
  • 0

Who all besides lawyers can file paperwork on behalf of veteran?

This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 


Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 


This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.




5 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
  • Moderator

Yea.  "non attorney practioners" can file papers for the Veteran, "provided that" they sign a POA to the non attorney practioner.  

Ditto for VSO.   

Finally, I think you can have a family member or friend represent you, provided you give them a POA.  Im not sure why you are asking this?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

My VSO is on record as my POA with the VA. However, after having a heart attack last year, I got a POA for my wife. If I become incapacitated, she can legally act on my behalf, file claims, etc...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

VA has traditionally allowed anyone to represent a veteran, on a one time basis.


Although this is from 2009,I do not believe it has changed.

In part it states:

  "  The execution by a claimant of a power of attorney (POA) under State law has no effect for the purposes of prosecuting a VA claim.  In order to be recognized by Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), a claimant’s representative must be appointed according to the procedures in this chapter."

and it has the criteria for appointment:

"Type of Representation    Requirements
Accredited representative of a service organization, agent, or attorney    Must obtain recognition from VA’s Office of General Counsel in order to represent claimants.  Refer any person or group to the Office of General Counsel for accreditation.

References:  For more information on
•    requirements for accredited representatives of a service organization, agents, and attorneys to obtain recognition, see 38 CFR 14.629, and
•    a list of accredited representatives of service organizations, agents, and attorneys maintained by the Office of General Counsel, see the Office of the General Counsel’s accreditation search page.

Non-licensed individual    May represent a claimant on a one-time, one claim basis per the provisions of 38 CFR 14.630.  The individual may only represent one VA claimant unless a request is made to the VA’s Office of General Counsel.

 Note:  If a person purporting to be a representative does not fit into one of the categories above, write to the individual (and provide a copy to the claimant) explaining that 
•    he/she does not appear to fit into one of the categories of permitted representatives per 38 CFR 14.629 and 38 CFR 14.630, and
•    VA will not recognize the representation unless he/she shows VA that he/she does fit into one of the categories of permitted representatives."

Here is 38 CFR 14.630:



"§ 14.630 Authorization for a particular claim.

(a) Any person may be authorized to prepare, present, and prosecute one claim. A power of attorney executed on VA Form 21-22a, “Appointment of Attorney or Agent as Claimant'sRepresentative,” and a statement signed by the person and the claimant that no compensation will be charged or paid for the services, shall be filed with the agency of original jurisdiction where the claim is presented. The power of attorney identifies to VA theclaimant's appointment of representation and authorizes VA's disclosure of information to the person representing the claimant.

(b) Representation may be provided by an individual pursuant to this section one time only. An exception to this limitation may be granted by the General Counsel in unusual circumstances. Among the factors which may be considered in determining whether an exception will be granted are:

(1) The number of accredited representatives, agents, and attorneys operating in theclaimant's geographic region;

(2) Whether the claimant has unsuccessfully sought representation from other sources;

(3) The nature and status of the claim; and

(4) Whether there exists unique circumstances which would render alternative representation inadequate.

(c) Persons providing representation under this section must comply with the laws administered by VA and with the regulations governing practice before VA including the rules of conduct in § 14.632 of this part.

(d) Persons providing representation under this section are subject to suspension and or exclusion from representation of claimants before VA on the same grounds as apply to representatives, agents, and attorneys in § 14.633 of this part.

(e) With respect to the limitation in paragraph (b) of this section, a person who had been authorized under paragraph (a) of this section to represent a claimant who later dies and is replaced by a substitute pursuant to 38 CFR 3.1010 for purposes of processing the claim to completion will be permitted to represent the substitute if the procedures of § 14.631(g) are followed."

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 501(a), 5121A, 5903)

[68 FR 8546, Feb. 24, 2003, as amended at 73 FR 29872, May 22, 2008; 79 FR 52983, Sept. 5, 2014]



  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • Moderator

Thanks, Berta.  Once again, VA loves to make even having a representative a complex procedure with complex rules, which should be quite simple.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • Moderator

Way back in 98 I was an idiot and used the DAV for my POA..

AFTER I seen how well they understood this CLAIM  process I decided to work my own claims  but still to this day they are still my POA.

I worked my last claims by myself with help here at hadit and submitted everything myself  via ebenefits  DAV did absolutely nothing  but  they get credit for it.   its hard to get them off my POA Status.

Here at the Dallas VAMC the DAV is a tiny little office located in the center of the new building and is only open Mon Wed Fri  and they seem to take a 2 &3 hour lunch,   but I have yet to fine one there that know what he is doing.  I work all my Claims my self.  and help other veterans file theirs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.


  • question-001.jpeg

    Have Questions? Get Answers.

    Tips on posting on the forums.

    1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.
    2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.
      Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.
    Leading too:

    exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.
    • Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?
    • Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?
    This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • VA Watchdog

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

  • Create New...

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines