VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

More on Sleep Apnea

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Opportunities Missed to Contain Spending on Sleep Apnea Devices and Improve Veterans’ Outcomes

Veterans Affairs Office of Inspector General (OIG) sent this bulletin at 01/14/2020 12:34 PM EST

Opportunities Missed to Contain Spending on Sleep Apnea Devices and Improve Veterans’ Outcomes

01/13/2020 07:00 PM EST

The VA Office of Inspector General (OIG) conducted this audit to determine if the Veterans Health Administration (VHA) is efficiently managing positive airway pressure devices (sleep apnea devices) and supplies for veterans diagnosed with sleep apnea. The number of veterans diagnosed with sleep apnea who receive devices and supplies increased dramatically between fiscal years 2014 and 2018.

This has significantly increased the financial risk to VA. If VHA does not change its practices and leverage opportunities to save money, the OIG estimates it risks spending about $261.3 million over the next five years on devices and supplies veterans will not use. VHA did not efficiently manage sleep apnea devices and associated supplies. The OIG found that almost half of the 250,000 veterans issued a device from October 2016 through May 2018 used it less than half the time. This can reduce therapy effectiveness.

The mismanagement occurred in part because VHA did not identify and follow up with veterans who were not using their devices as recommended. The OIG also found that VHA did not have a sleep medicine staffing model to help ensure it conducted patient follow up. A model will determine staffing to help ensure follow up is conducted. VHA could save up to $39.9 million per year by loaning devices to veterans rather than issuing them for permanent use. A loan program would allow unused devices to be returned and reused. VHA could save up to an additional $12.4 million per year by not purchasing device supplies for veterans who do not use their devices. The OIG made three recommendations to the under secretary for health regarding sleep apnea device management. The recommendations include studying staffing levels, looking at using existing technologies to better monitor device use, and looking at alternatives to purchasing devices.

• HadIt.com Elder

GB

I Totally agree OSA Is serious  for sure, for everyone that needs the c-pap

I am glad I got one  if not I'd more than likely be dead by now, it did take some time getting use to and make all the necessary adjustments  but its worth it.

.This new technologies they have out now VA is way behind   because they are making things that replace the Cpap machines and is 90% easier to use  now not sure the cost? but its supposed to be better to use wise and more cost effective over the long run,  but is supposed to be better for our OSA

I am just not sure what all they got out there now-days

I also think that every Veteran &their spouse should learn how to do CPR they can take a free class at their respected VAMC.

I hear you about the Strokes and Heart Attacks...my spouse had triple by pass in 2005, LUCKLY for us this was when the VA used the Citie program  not sure what its called?  but she had ChampVA and she could use the VAMC just like us veterans but they took her last  in the clinics,  they are the ones that did her heart surgery,  we lived about 89 miles from the VA  So after she spent about 3 weeks in the VA HOSPITAL   They discharge her and wanted us to come in every day for her reahab...it was just to far to drive that everyday  so the heart surgeon showed me how to clean her wound and redress it  so i did this for another 3 months until the wound closed on its own....

Anyway  even if we use a c-pap or know of someone that does  its good to know CPR

I believe that above about some Veterans do not use there C-pap because their OSA is not as bad as they claim  and more than likely just got the c-pap to up their compensation , its unfortunate  but they are Veterans out there that  do this (jmo)  I don't know of any that do  but that is a pretty high figure don't you think>?

VA diagnose me for sleep apnea as mild ,because I take so many medication that cause me to stop breathing while sleeping , so I use mine every night but I am not service connected  for it  I may can get it service connected secondary to my PTSD  but I am ok with what I get on my compensation.

• HadIt.com Elder

My C-pap is also a Res Med  but it seems ok to me. 

its the parts that go bad like the hose  the mask the tubes  ect,,ect,,

A Little trick I figured out   clean your hose with mouthwash/rinse and hang to dry  and when you refill the water tank make sure you use distilled water only   there's a difference in using drinking water or purified water .

Distilled water is the best to use   anyway getting back to my trick  I put about two/three ice cubs in my tank   these ICE cubes I make from the distilled water from pop cycles forms my grand kids use when they come over,  I just fill them up with the distilled water and freeze them and break them up into cubes and put them in my cpap water tank  it seems to make the air cooler and makes me sleepy.  this may or may not work for you  but ya might give it a try.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
2 hours ago, Buck52 said:

I keep my c-pap clean and cleaning it a lot will cause things to start leaking  I guess it dries out and becomes brittle or something?  so I get out the old masking tape  eh! 

Been there, done that. But I used teflon tape. It did a better job at getting into crevices and holding a seal.

• HadIt.com Elder

Buck52 and Vync Couple good tips for CPAP users from you. On cleaning, I use 3 steps: 1) really hot soapy  water and white vinegar. 2) rinse  ot to get the vinegar out but with hot soapy water again, then 3) rinse with tap water. Do that to the mask parts and hose and reservoir. Only use distilled water lick Buck said. You don't want those germs to get together and multiply because you didn't clean it well.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
3 hours ago, GBArmy said:

Buck52 and Vync Couple good tips for CPAP users from you. On cleaning, I use 3 steps: 1) really hot soapy  water and white vinegar. 2) rinse  ot to get the vinegar out but with hot soapy water again, then 3) rinse with tap water. Do that to the mask parts and hose and reservoir. Only use distilled water lick Buck said. You don't want those germs to get together and multiply because you didn't clean it well.

When I got the new Philips Dreamstation CPAP machine, they told me that the plastic water reservoir is rated for top shelf use in a dishwasher. I never cleaned it that way though. I just use dishwashing liquid and a soft sponge to clean everything.

I would never accept a used C-PAP machine, I would raise hell with anyone who would listen. Besides not knowing if the previous user maintained it correctly, was it properly sanitized prior to giving out to someone else.

I hate my C-PAP machine but I also like breathing at night, I wake up a lot at night for the mask slipping or because of the way I am laying. My wife has told me several times to close my mouth at night (because of air blowing out) so I use a chin strap to help keep my mouth closed. It is uncomfortable but need to use it.

Hopefully the VA does not go to re-using C-PAP machines.