VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA denied my FOIA request for my own C-File

Rate this question

blahsaysme2u

Question

well now what? i requested my c-file with the steps and tips and letter format that VLB(vet law blog) gives for getting your c-file with FOIA. i got a denial from the va stating "exemption 6".

"FOIA Exemption 6 protects records the release of which would lead to a clearly unwarranted invasion of a living individuals personal privacy".

"Living Veterans have an obvious privacy interest in their VA claims file that include ss numbers, dob, and financial, educational, and medical information. the public disclosure of such information would constitute a clearly unwarranted invasion of personal privacy. you have not identified and we do not find that the public interest outweighs the interests of a living Veteran in the information maintained in his or her VA claims records. Accordingly, the VA claims file you requested is denied under FOIA exemption 6."

The best part? I am requesting MY OWN C FILE!!!

i searched the forums here for something on this but looks like no one here has ran into this or hasn't talked about it in a specific post question. any help?

thanks guysz

cfile1.jpg

cfile2.jpg

ok so just an update on this. quickly. 

i did contact my congressman on this and they got a response from the VA that they were working on it and would send ASAP and had already notified me that they were working on it? i dont know if thats what the letter i received meant but i guess thats what they intended. so my congressman said to just wait. the claim was never closed on VA.gov so i waited. and waited........and waited.......

this week the claim finally closed. so i guess they are finally sending my C-file. thanks to everyone that was helping me with this and tried to decipher the letter i got. i swear the VA makes things so difficult sometimes!

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

@blahsaysme2u I requested mine in December 2019. Currently, there is no longer an ETA on va.gov of when I call the Peggy puppets. I think I might engage my Congressional rep to see if they can get mine moving along.

My 2 cents:  Dont show your "hand" too soon, as in Poker!  I just asked on a 21-4138 for a copy of my claims file, 3 times and all 3 were granted.  

I think many Veterans apply for benefits too narrowly:  Example:

"I want to apply for anterior cruciate ligamanet damage secondary to bilateral plantar fasciatis".  

The reason this is bad is because a doctor could diagnose you with something else..or another cause.  

Instead, "Apply for SC for both right and left knee issues, both primary and secondary to other conditions".  

"This includes arthritis and other tissue, muscle and bone damage as a doctor may so diagnose."  

Dont limit yourself.  Your ACL may morph into arthritis, bursitis, loss of use, etc.  

Once I overheard a car sales meeting.  The manager told a story where "the salesman" made bad assumptions about the customer.  He assumed the customer "could not afford" 500 per month car payment.  

The customer?  Sam Walton..driving his old pickup truck.  (Sam Walton, founder of Walmart, was the richest man in the world.)  

Dont make assumptions that hurt you!  

so lil update. i called Peggy last Friday and was so upset over the weekend i didnt get on to give an update. 

these jack legs didnt send me my C-file. they closed my claim for no reason, put on VA.gov a packet had been mailed, and then created a new claim file for my C-file. i was told by Peggy it could be another year before i get my C-file because the new claim was started over. i explained i have only requested my C-file once and that i wanted an explanation why they closed the claim without a decision or sending me my file but i couldn't get any answer. im calling the whitehouse number today! im so fed up with this crap!!!!