VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD Was upgraded

Rate this question

sklee

Question

So in 2018 I recieved a letter stating I was now 100% Va rated. Looks like in 2/2018 the Va combined my TBI @ 40% with my PTSD with alcohol use @ 50% with a secondary sleep apnea 50%(awarded the same day 2/2018) into 1 disability to equal 100%. The TBI effective date was 10/2014 and PTSD 5/2015.

There was also a secondary for sleep apnea added the same day the combined rating was approved on 02/2018. They also game me headaches @ 30% and tinnitus @ 10 the same day my TBI was recorded. 

Do i get back pay since my TBI and PTSD was seperate in 2015 but now combined as one? Thanks in advance.

• Lead Moderator

Did they say why they combined the TBI and the PTSD?  I think those two should be separate?  Did they up your % when they combined them?  

So it depends on how they split it up and when they say each one happened.  Can you post the decision letter minus your personal information?

After they send the decision within a month or two they will send the breakdown on what they decided.  Until we see that it is hard to say what they did.  You may want to appeal, but again hard to say until we can see it

19 hours ago, shrekthetank1 said:

Did they say why they combined the TBI and the PTSD?  I think those two should be separate?  Did they up your % when they combined them?  

So it depends on how they split it up and when they say each one happened.  Can you post the decision letter minus your personal information?

After they send the decision within a month or two they will send the breakdown on what they decided.  Until we see that it is hard to say what they did.  You may want to appeal, but again hard to say until we can see it

Reason for decision

1. service connection for posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) with alcohol use disorder and traumatic brain injury (TBI) Previously rated separately.

service connection for posttraumatic stress disorder (ptsd) with alcohol use disorder and traumatic brain injury (tbi) previously rated separately has been established as directly related to military service, Overlap of symptoms between comorbid mental disorders and residuals of TBI is common, and at times it is hard or impossible for an examiner to attribute the symptoms to one or the other. since the examiner stated that is was impossible to determine between the psychological and cognitive disorder, the evaluation is made under whichever set of evaluation criteria allows the better assessment of overall impaired functioning due to behavioral/emotional symptoms of both conditions. in this case, we have evaluated these conditions under the criteria for post traumatic stress disorder with alcohol use disorder.

An evaluation of 100 percent is assigned from ....

• Lead Moderator

So you will have to wait to see how and when they combined the two.  I know for mine they had them separate for a month then combined them and took me from 100% back to 90%.  The VA does this crap all the time.  So now I am at the CAVC fighting to get a remand so they will separate the two issues.  

8 hours ago, shrekthetank1 said:

So you will have to wait to see how and when they combined the two.  I know for mine they had them separate for a month then combined them and took me from 100% back to 90%.  The VA does this crap all the time.  So now I am at the CAVC fighting to get a remand so they will separate the two issues.  

they were combined 2/2018. I've been rated 100% smc-1. I was just wondering if I should have received retro pay. Or was this just an upgrade since I went in for an increase. Or could they have been 100% since 2015 when i was rated separately?

• You are considered to be totally and permanently disabled due solely to your service-connected disabilities:
  • The effective date of when you became totally and permanently disabled due to your service-connected disabilities:
  • Yes
  • February 19, 2018

On 1/21/2020 at 11:33 PM, sklee said:

Reason for decision

1. service connection for posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) with alcohol use disorder and traumatic brain injury (TBI) Previously rated separately.

service connection for posttraumatic stress disorder (ptsd) with alcohol use disorder and traumatic brain injury (tbi) previously rated separately has been established as directly related to military service, Overlap of symptoms between comorbid mental disorders and residuals of TBI is common, and at times it is hard or impossible for an examiner to attribute the symptoms to one or the other. since the examiner stated that is was impossible to determine between the psychological and cognitive disorder, the evaluation is made under whichever set of evaluation criteria allows the better assessment of overall impaired functioning due to behavioral/emotional symptoms of both conditions. in this case, we have evaluated these conditions under the criteria for post traumatic stress disorder with alcohol use disorder.

An evaluation of 100 percent is assigned from ....

So what this says, is they could not separate the symptoms between your PTSD (comorbid mental disorder) and your residuals of your TBI. So they evaluated at whichever one gave you the best  rating, which

was the PTSD 100%.