VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dependent question

Rate this question

sklee

Question

I am currently 100% va rated with SMC-1. 

I have not yet registered my wife since we were waiting on her green card to be issued and social security number to arrive. 

then question that I have is will i be paid retroactive pay from the day of our marriage or from the day she received her green card or her ssn?

Thank you in advance. 

4 answers to this question

Probably not.  Vets benefits effective date is the later of "facts found" or the date of application.  If you did not apply until (dd-mm-yy), then you are not likely to get benefits until then.  

If you were awarded benefits with a decision within the past year, you may get depenedents benefits back to the effective date of decision, but you did give us the date you were awarded benefits.  

To reiterate:  Your effective date will be the date you applied for dependent benefits, UNLESS you had an award of benefits with a decision dated in the past 12 months.  Then, you could get depenedent benefits back to the effective date of the decision.  

However, if you are just now applying for dependent benefits, that will be your "date of application".  

Edited by broncovet

Dependants benefits.pdfTake a look at this va information sheet for dependent payments... Your wife doesn't have to have a green card or be a us citizen to be  eligible  as your dependent . They also don't  ask for her Social security number either since the dependent rate is paid to you as part of your disability compensation.  All they need is a copy of the marriage license, and birth certificate of any children you have ..... 

Edited by Richard1954
added pdf

On 2/4/2020 at 10:09 PM, Richard1954 said:

Dependants benefits.pdfTake a look at this va information sheet for dependent payments... Your wife doesn't have to have a green card or be a us citizen to be  eligible  as your dependent . They also don't  ask for her Social security number either since the dependent rate is paid to you as part of your disability compensation.  All they need is a copy of the marriage license, and birth certificate of any children you have ..... 

called e benefits and they wanted a ssn and so did the online process. We received the ssn and completed the online application and was approved the next day. Received back pay from Aug 2019 up till last month. currently enrolling the wife under CHAMPVA which also required a ssn and marriage cert. Thanks for the replies. 

37 minutes ago, sklee said:

and they wanted a ssn

Not surprising as they seem to change the rules all the time.  My Wife didn't have to give her SSAN back  in 1986......glad you got it squared away

Edited by Richard1954