Jump to content
Using an Ad Blocker? Consider adding HadIt.com as an exception. Hadit.com is funded through advertising, ad free memberships, contributions and out of pocket. ×
  • 0

Hysterectomy Post-Service

This thread is over 365 days old and has been closed.

Please post your question as a New Topic by clicking this link and choosing which forum to post in.

For almost everything you are going to want to post in VA Claims Research.

If this is your first time posting. Take a moment and read our Guidelines. It will inform you of what is and isn't acceptable and tips on getting your questions answered. 


Remember, everyone who comes here is a volunteer. At one point, they went to the forums looking for information. They liked it here and decided to stay and help other veterans. They share their personal experience, providing links to the law and reference materials and support because working on your claim can be exhausting and beyond frustrating. 


This thread may still provide value to you and is worth at least skimming through the responses to see if any of them answer your question. Knowledge Is Power, and there is a lot of knowledge in older threads.




I am about to file a claim and I want to be sure I am going about it correctly. In service I had several surgeries to include fibroid removal, cyst, 3 D&C, 2 C-sections, laparoscopy etc. I suffered severe cramping and heavy bleeding. None of which I recieved a rating for. Fast forward post service I was still dealing with the same issues. Until I had mo choice but to have a total hysterectomy. Can I use this for a claim? I have records for days. Also my doctor who performed the hysterectomy stated that I had severe adhesion disease due to the prior surgeries. All of which were done in the military.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
  • Moderator

Hi Bookieboo79 Welcome to Hadit Yes, you can submit a claim for any illness or physical or mental injury that occured while you were in service, called service connection, or s-c. You need evidence in your service treatment records of the surgeries that you had; if you don't have them, the VA has a duty to assist to get them for you. If you had a total histerectomy outside the VA, I would get those records as well to submit. You have to sign a release to the hospital to get them released, but that is your info so they have to provide. If you look up http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/femalereproductive.html#loss you will see diagnostic codes 7617 thru 7620, which lists several removal or loss of reproductive organs. If you have those symptoms you can determine what your disability rating may be. It appears you may be able to get a 20, 30 or even higher rating, so it is worth it to submit a claim. You may want to get a "competent" Veterans Service Officer. VSO, to help you submit. but you probably can do it yourself. You can do this; good luck.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Welcome to Hadit Bookieboo79. GB has good advice; you may also need an IMO (independent medical opinion) to tie your hysterectomy to your military medical treatment. If you do decide to go with a VSO make sure that they understand what you want to file and that they know how to file for it. If they say you do not qualify and should not file, then find a new VSO. Personally, I think you can file for your disabilities on your own, after all no one is more interested in your disabilities than you are. 

I also highly recommend you going through your medical records (if you have not already) and make sure that you have filed for all the disabilities that you are entitled to. Also, make sure that you file for any disabilities that are secondary to your rated disabilities or ones you are getting ready to file for. I personally have 9 rated disabilities that are secondary to other disabilities.

Good luck!

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • Moderator

If you want to increase the likelihood of getting service connected, then make sure you have all 3 Caluza elements:  Current diagnosis, in service event and nexus.

Beyond the diagnosis, you have to have "symptoms".  I dont know what your syptoms are after your hysterectomy.  The VA does not compensate us for "pain and suffering".  It needs to be a chronic condition that causes regular symptoms for compensation.  Example:

I sprain my ankle in service.  It hurts bad.  But it goes away, and I have no further problems with my ankle.  I wont get any compensation for that.  However, if a doctor diagnoses me with "arthritis of the ankle" and he says its "at least as like as not my current ankle issues are related to the in service event which caused my ankle sprain", and I am unable to walk due to severe ankle arthritis, then that is a horse of a different color.  

VA has a SMC rating for "loss of use of a reproductive organ".  Its SMC K.  I dont know if you would qualify for that, you might.  Generally, SMC is for Vets with "severe injuries", and I have not known anyone to get an SMC K rating when their total is less than 100 percent, but that may be coincidence.  

Edited by broncovet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • veterans-crisis-line.jpg
    The Veterans Crisis Line can help even if you’re not enrolled in VA benefits or health care.


  • question-001.jpeg

    Have Questions? Get Answers.

    Tips on posting on the forums.

    1. Post a clear title like ‘Need help preparing PTSD claim’ or “VA med center won’t schedule my surgery instead of ‘I have a question.
    2. Knowledgeable people who don’t have time to read all posts may skip yours if your need isn’t clear in the title.
      I don’t read all posts every login and will gravitate towards those I have more info on.
    3. Use paragraphs instead of one massive, rambling introduction or story.
      Again – You want to make it easy for others to help. If your question is buried in a monster paragraph, there are fewer who will investigate to dig it out.
    Leading too:

    exclamation-point.pngPost straightforward questions and then post background information.
    • Question A. I was previously denied for apnea – Should I refile a claim?
      • Adding Background information in your post will help members understand what information you are looking for so they can assist you in finding it.
    Rephrase the question: I was diagnosed with apnea in service and received a CPAP machine, but the claim was denied in 2008. Should I refile?
    • Question B. I may have PTSD- how can I be sure?
      • See how the details below give us a better understanding of what you’re claiming.
    Rephrase the question: I was involved in a traumatic incident on base in 1974 and have had nightmares ever since, but I did not go to mental health while enlisted. How can I get help?
    This gives members a starting point to ask clarifying questions like “Can you post the Reasons for Denial of your claim?”
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. This process does not take long.
    • Your first posts on the board may be delayed before they appear as they are reviewed. The review requirement will usually be removed by the 6th post. However, we reserve the right to keep anyone on moderator preview.
    • This process allows us to remove spam and other junk posts before hitting the board. We want to keep the focus on VA Claims, and this helps us do that.
  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • VA Watchdog

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

  • Create New...

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines