VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD minimum rating

Rate this question

Carl the Engineer

Question

I was treated for OCD through the local VA clinic by seeing a therapist for approximately 3 months, maybe longer, in 2011.  After treatment (therapy) I put in a claim for OCD, and was denied, which I suspected and accepted.  The VA's rationale was that my OCD was caused by my military service, but, it helped my do my job more efficiently.  But that's a different story.

Now I am researching my records for a new claim going forward for a different issue and came upon this;

------PTSD Checklist C------

SCALE RAW

Total 30

DSM-IV PTSD Criteria B is NOT met

DSM-IV PTSD Criteria C is NOT met

DSM-IV PTSD Criteria D is met

So, after finding that (not sure why I didn't see that before, but then all our records are many) I looked up rating criteria for PTSD, and found that I probably fit the 10% rating quite well, and maybe 30% with a good examiner.

Additionally, I know that for PTSD, the doc has to be VA, and in this case the therapist is VA.  I  have never been to a civilian doc regards PTSD.

I am thinking of adding PTSD to my new round of claims with the above VA evidence.

What ya think?,

Hamslice

I know my original claim was for OCD, but they did the PTSD test and it showed D being met, shouldn't they have inferred PTSD?  I know the answer, but.

Edited by Hamslice
cause I can

7 hours ago, Hamslice said:

The VA's rationale was that my OCD was caused by my military service, but, it helped my do my job more efficiently.

I am confused, so what if it helped you do your job more efficiently. If it was caused by the military and it is causing you unwanted thoughts, ideas or sensations then it is a disability that should be rated by the VA. I don't see what difference it makes if it helped you do your job better in the military, besides you are no longer in the military. I believe you should file again for OCD and also PTSD especially since they say you met DSM-IV PTSD Criteria. I personally would file for both.

Good luck

Go for it, hamslice.  I assume you are not rated for any OTHER mental health disorders, because you can only get paid for the same syptoms ONCE.  Pyramiding prevents you from getting paid for "symptom x" both with OCD and PTSD.  

The VA is notorious for "not diagnosing" PTSD..calling it a behaviour disorder, OCD, etc. etc.  

This denial is "hogwash".  

"EVEN tho" there are "some advantages" to being hearing impaired, that does not mean I can not get compensation for being hearing impaired.  Example:

I read incredibly fast because Im HOH (hard of hearing).  I learned to read fast so I can watch shows..to read the close captions.  Its an advantage to be a fast reader when taking tests and stuff.  So, if VA says, "claim for hearing loss denied" because I can read faster, I would "howl" like a stuffed pig in my NOD.  

Now, check the criteria for DSM critieria for PTSD where it says "not met".  How did you "not meet" the criteria?  

Years ago, I got denied hearing loss because "it was too long since military service".  THAT, too, is a bogus denial.  The VA has to consider "the criteria", and "time since military service" is NOT one of the criteria for hearing loss.  The VA "makes stuff up" to deny, and that is what they did to you.  Appeal!!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Under the DSM 5 GUIDELINES   The full diagnostic criteria for PTSD must be met for application to be warranted.

Veterans must meet this DSM 5  Diagnostic Criteria.

You mention you do not meet B&C.

with these not meeting the DSM 5 Diagnostic Criteria  your claim more likely will be denied on this reason. (jmo)

I agree with Buck52 about the PTSD.  I would go with an appeal on the OCD though.  It might improve your work some but it is a mental health issue that can affect work and personal life.  The fact that it improves your work is a bunch of hooey.

I have no mental health ratings, and I do not have a stressor, etc., for PTSD,, and feel I don't have PTSD.

When I read the criteria for PTSD @ 10%, I met that with the exam for the OCD that was denied, and I feel I do have OCD.

I can't find any criteria for OCD, but would imagine some overlap, or the old VA rule where they use what fits your problem best, but I suppose they don't do that with PTSD.

I'll do some more poking around.

Thanks,

Hamslice

GB Army, I retired a year ago and have been busier than when I worked.  Not sure how I got everything done when I was working.  LOL., I should be around more.