VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Voc Rehab ILP Experiences

Rate this question

Tbird

Question

• Founder

I applied for ILP and had the contractor out to my home, unfortunately a lot of stuff they can do for me I have to wait till I get to my permanent living situation, I should only be here for about 2 years. However, they said if I can get my doctor to sign off on new reclining desk and chair than we can move forward. I've only seen this new doc once so I don't know how she will be with that. I want the reclining desk so I can keep my legs elevated due to the lymphedema, I'm on the computer for long hours and need to find a long term solution for my legs. I have to alternate between keeping my legs elevated and standing up which is a bit more challenging.

I don't feel very hopeful about getting the doc to sign off on a desk and chair, but maybe i'll be wrong.

I was placed in the ILP last year. They sent a counselor out from Texas who spent three hours to evaluate my situation. 

Although it is probably quite different than yours Ms. T. I am a widowed vet that lives out in the woods. I bought a five-acre parcel on an 18 acre lake. When my disability caused an accident where my disc slipped  a few years back, I was glad for my 'knee-injury' in the service, @ least while I was laid up I had a check! But was not able to finish building my cabin.

I found out that my 'back injury' is more likely than not to have been caused by the toxins I came into contact @ MCAS El Toro. In these last few years I have also had four heart attacks and had to have a quad-by-pass this last year and KNOW that is caused by A.O. 

Back to the IPL ... The counselor requested all kinds of things from lift chairs, scooters to organizers. My local V.A., Poplar Bluff, would not comply but eventually my Primary signed the paperwork and sent it over to Ortho, who denied everything with the exception of a 'shower chair' ... My ILP counselor cancelled my IPL citing initially that it was due to the fact that my Primary would not communicate with IPL. Later they changed it to be MY issue stating the my cabin was not finished but that I could re-open my claim after I have taken care of these issues.

Well I got rid of my Primary, as she was not a good doc and I then re-applied. I am now scheduled for a second visit, but this counselor is 'local' and I have a plan of what I would like to do and build my property. And I just had an appraisal on my property and bank is giving loan to finish cabin.

I believe I qualify for the SAH grant, as I have LOU from my foot, as well as Ischemic Heart disease and degenerative disc disease. I was also denied by V.A. for HISA as they stated it was only for walks and rails. Counselor had indicated that I needed my driveway expanded. Pretty sure there are issues in the Ortho dept of this particular VA, as they did not want to fulfill any requests from my ILP.

I am hoping to get the SAH and the HISA for the concrete work and would like to build a 'Dude Ranch' for disabled vets, particularly AO related. I know there are a lot of guys that live @ the Poplar Bluff, V.A. and because it is a federal facility, they cannot smoke medical cannabis or grow it, where it is legal in MO. I know when I had my accident, someone suggested CBD oil, I tried it and owe the fact that I can walk with a cane to it. I have never really used the 'full-spectrum' but planning on checking out dispensaries in IL in the near future. 😎

Good luck on  your IPL!

On 1/28/2020 at 7:23 AM, Tbird said:

I have zero confidence in the big things a zero gravity workstation and a scooter

Tbird,

You do not need to go thru Voc rehab to get a scooter or wheelchair.. the normal procedure would be for you VA primary care doctor to refer you for evaluation at PM & RS ( Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Services)   for a doctor's evaluation for use of a scooter or wheelchair.  If you can show you need one, it will be issued. Basically, the  doctor will question you about your disability and mobility and then determine  which mobility device will be better for you.  From there you will a see a therapist who will help you to determine which model and features you would like in  a scooter or wheelchair. 

I just went thru this a few months back ( been thru it 4 times before) to get a new power chair.  It takes just a few hours on your part and you will get that new scooter or  power wheelchair.   It doesn't matter if you are service connected for a mobility issue or not, if you need it they will give it too you. 

In Fact you can get almost anything thru your Primary VA doctors referral, like the sock donner. Also recently the VA gave me  a device that I use once a day that helps with my lymphedema.  Its basically a large sock that covers you leg, and is attached to a machine that stimulates the blood flow in your legs. Its basically a compression pump and again your primary care doctor only has to request it.  It helps me with both of my legs.

1 hour ago, Richard1954 said:

Tbird,

You do not need to go thru Voc rehab to get a scooter or wheelchair.. the normal procedure would be for you VA primary care doctor to refer you for evaluation at PM & RS ( Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Services)   for a doctor's evaluation for use of a scooter or wheelchair.  If you can show you need one, it will be issued. Basically, the  doctor will question you about your disability and mobility and then determine  which mobility device will be better for you.  From there you will a see a therapist who will help you to determine which model and features you would like in  a scooter or wheelchair. 

I just went thru this a few months back ( been thru it 4 times before) to get a new power chair.  It takes just a few hours on your part and you will get that new scooter or  power wheelchair.   It doesn't matter if you are service connected for a mobility issue or not, if you need it they will give it too you. 

In Fact you can get almost anything thru your Primary VA doctors referral, like the sock donner. Also recently the VA gave me  a device that I use once a day that helps with my lymphedema.  Its basically a large sock that covers you leg, and is attached to a machine that stimulates the blood flow in your legs. Its basically a compression pump and again your primary care doctor only has to request it.  It helps me with both of my legs.

YES!!  I have a walker and then had a scooter order behind my back, refused it,  and then a few years later I now have both my service dog and a custom rigid wheelchair with a smartdrive that was added later that I can use when I need it, it is amazing and allows me to use my manual wheelchair on days that I can and days that it is too much to push or days that I am just gonna have to go too far for my shoulder to handle I can throw on the smartdrive assist and it goes up to 5.5 mph and is easy peasy!!  All of these items were requested either by my primary care doctor or my neurologist. referral was sent to physical medicine as Richard mentioned 🙂 

• Founder

they have turned me down for a scooter twice because i can still walk with a walker and they said once i get my knees replaced i'll be able to walk. i told them about the swelling in my legs (lymphedema) but they still said no so i'm not expecting i will get one this time.

i can walk short distances with my walker for longer distances like going to appointment my niece pushes me in my wheelchair. I really don't have very high hopes for anything I imagine I'll end up with some grabbers and a sock donner. Maybe a liftchair but i don't think they will sign off on a scooter and a zero gravity workstation thought i could use that the most. i'm on the computer a lot and raising my legs and taking the pressure off my lower back would help.

• HadIt.com Elder

Miss Tbird  It is a difficult process to be sure. But you are a fighter and you won't give up. If they don't get you what you need, keep on applying; get more assistance from your doctors. You are an inspiration to us all so we want you to keep at it. We know that you don't lose until you quit trying.